My gas gauge is wacko!

Gauge goes way right to 3 o clock and stays there [when it doesn't want to work] but it seems like when i get ready to drop the tank and figure the problem out, it will start working again..........anyway I would say intermittent........

here is the story:

I put a new tank in it and didn't drive it after the tank job for a couple of months.......I filled it with gas and noticed the gauge was not working, so I got under it and discovered a ground wire out of  the front of the tank that i may have "half assed" a splice, so i soldered and taped the splice, { into the original wire going to the body]  ......the gauge worked after I redid the wire.........but has quit and started several times since.......I'm thinking that I will have to drop the tank and check the other end of that ground wire........Has anyone else had this problem??

I had thoughts about selling this car, but since I started working on it and driving it again.......I'm thinking that some else will have to make that decision after I'm  gone🙂

9 minutes ago, digiacomo said:

I had thoughts about selling this car, but since I started working on it and driving it again.......I'm thinking that some else will have to make that decision after I'm  gone🙂

th?id=OIP.STFjYtm7LaQZyZXyb4KvGwHaHa&pid

I had the same problem years ago. Doing a visual on the ground wire showed it to be attached to the body. Actually un bolting it showed that there was only one strand of wire holding it to the connector! Thankfully this was the first thing that I did in the process of pulling out the tank. I thought that I had a bad sending unit

• Like 1

Ok David thanks, I'll run the wire to a new ground on the body and give that a try before I drop the tank again............

I worked with Rodney Ziemer some years back...............would he be  any relation..........??

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 3:55 AM, zmanabba said:

I had the same problem years ago. Doing a visual on the ground wire showed it to be attached to the body. Actually un bolting it showed that there was only one strand of wire holding it to the connector! Thankfully this was the first thing that I did in the process of pulling out the tank. I thought that I had a bad sending unit

David, where on the body did you find this connection?

IIRC it was located towards the front of the car just ahead of the fuel tank. I think that it can be seen without pulling the tank but I'm not sure since it was years ago and I was in the middle of pulling the tank when I found it lol. It will be a single wire fastened to the sheet metal with a small body bolt. If that end is good (not broken, corroded or dirty ) then you will need to pull the tank to check the other end which is soldered to the body of the sending unit. 

• Like 1

Digiacomo, Sorry no relation. I actually wasn't supposed to be a Ziemer but my Dad took his step dad's last name years ago. His step dad was named Robert Ziemer and was a wonderful man. Ziemer isn't a common name though so I imagine that they might have been related

• 3 weeks later...

LONG time to reply....the gauge was intermittent [I hate intermittent]........anyway it turns out that the column switch was not making good contact.......when i turn it on and turn slowly.......I get a good reading on the gas gauge..........old goldie fixed itself again 😊

• Like 1