Four Seasons control panel lighting

RODS70BB

My control panel will not light up when the headlights are turned on. Is there more than one bulb for this? The bulb that I found on the right, back side Is illuminated but it doesn’t light up the panel. How does this work? Is there supposed to be a reflector in there? Or is there another bulb I’m missing? Maybe on the bottom? 
Thanks for any help, Rodney 

There are several separate Bulbs behind the Instrument Cluster Gauges.  Each one luminates separate from the other but work thru your Headlight Switch and also the Circuit Board Ribbon has that current needed flowing thru it.  Likely in your Headlight Switch and I would start there myself (if all Instrument cluster lights are showing dead) with headlight switch on.  I am assuming you have Power otherwise?  Good Luck................. :2beers:

I'm a betting man and am sure others have their suggestions that will chime in............

Doug

It is just the A/C control panel that is not illuminated. All other lights come on with the headlight switch, and will dim. The one bulb that I fond on the rear of that control panel housing is lit up.

Also I have Dakota Digital gauge package and it works fine.

There is only one bulb for that HVAC control panel. Did you by chance replace the front lens & black backer with something from the aftermarket?

If so, that black backer is just a bit too long and blocks the light from reflecting thru the clear plastic lens. I ran into that very problem when I rebuilt my dash. Pulled the lens off again with the 4 spring clips, trimmed the black backer to the length of the stock one and reassembled. There should be a gap of maybe 1/8 to 3/16" on the end where the bulb is for the light to shine through.  Panel lit up after that.

18 minutes ago, jft69z said:

There is only one bulb for that HVAC control panel. Did you by chance replace the front lens & black backer with something from the aftermarket?

If so, that black backer is just a bit too long and blocks the light from reflecting thru the clear plastic lens. I ran into that very problem when I rebuilt my dash. Pulled the lens off again with the 4 spring clips, trimmed the black backer to the length of the stock one and reassembled. There should be a gap of maybe 1/8 to 3/16" on the end where the bulb is for the light to shine through.  Panel lit up after that.

Thanks for that information. I’ll check that. I’ve never had it apart but it does seem to be misshapen.

That black backer always seems to be wrinkled up on these units, that's why I replaced mine. Found out after that it didn't exactly fit too good (like a lot of the repro stuff out there).

• 1 month later...

I removed the control panel when I changed the heater core and the black backer was indeed the problem. I trimmed it down and it lights up just like it’s supposed to.

Thanks for the solution!

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, jft69z said:

This is great info!

• Like 1