Front coil spring (up or down)

Hey guys I'm installing my front coil springs and I want make sure that I get the right side up. These springs came on my car and I had them powder coated so I don't know anything about them. They are only 16" tall and my car is an SS so I'm guessing that they are lowered springs. Notice that the bottom coil is flat.  

IMG_1524.JPG

Bottom is supposed to be flat. And I THINK the way you have it in the picture is the correct way it goes in the car. But wait for others to chime in for verification. I believe there is a groove the flat part sits in on the lower control arm 

2 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Bottom is supposed to be flat. And I THINK the way you have it in the picture is the correct way it goes in the car. But wait for others to chime in for verification. I believe there is a groove the flat part sits in on the lower control arm 

I noticed that inside the frame pocket there seems to be no groove but the lower control arm has a groove..

The way the coil is pictured is upside down. The top of the coil is on the floor. The "pigtail" is supposed to located between the 2 holes in the pocket of the lower control arm. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

The way the coil is pictured is upside down. The top of the coil is on the floor. The "pigtail" is supposed to located between the 2 holes in the pocket of the lower control arm. 

Thank you sir! 

• Like 1

Ron,

You may have already re-installed your front coil springs.  If so, I hope it went well.  Frankly, it took me several tries to find a workable (and safe) way to re-install the front coils when I rebuilt the front suspension of both of my '70s.  Following are a couple of tips from my experience.

1. There is not adequate clearance to use external spring compressors so I used the internal type and positioned them in the lower half of the coil but still a couple coils up from the bottom as shown in the photo below.  Be sure the hex drive head of the spring compressor is pointing down so you can disassemble it later and remove it from the shock mount opening in the lower control arm. BTW, since the free height of your springs is shorter at only 16" (stock height would be around 18"), you may not have to compress them as much to get them installed (assuming your lower control arms are already connected to the frame).

2. There are a couple of spring locator tabs on the underside of the frame up inside the spring pocket that the flat top of the coil spring must be correctly seated around (see photos below).  It is very easy to get the top of the spring positioned between the tabs instead of around them (i.e. both tabs must be inside the coil spring).  If not properly positioned the spring will rub against the spring pocket in the frame and you get to start over (ask me how I know this).

3. As already mentioned, the squared end of the coil must be positioned between the two holes in the spring pocket of the lower control arm so be sure you have the coil correctly indexed (i.e. clocked relative to the two holes) when you press the compressed coil into place because it will be almost impossible to rotate it once it has any load on it (see photos below).

You may know or have discovered all of the above by yourself by now and, if so, please ignore these tips.  But, if not, I hope they help.  Good luck.

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 211.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 207.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 209.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 215.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 218.JPG

• Like 3

Gentlemen, I used tie straps to hold the springs in place and slightly compress them. Then I used a 28" steel stake as a pry bar to set them in place. I also put a floor jack under the lower ball joints to jack up once in place. I also greased the cup in the lower control arm so I could turn them in the correct position once installed. These pics are after I got them in.  

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

• Like 2

Looks good, Ron! Most jobs can be accomplished in various ways with various tools.  Many require patience, determination and creativity. It's a good feeling to achieve the end result you wanted/needed. Congratulations!

• Like 2