fibre optic front fender markers

Grant MacPherson

I have just spent a few hours working on the front fibre optics. I changed the headlights to metal helid and drilled through the base and inserted the fibre optic and it works great. The signal lites not so good!  I tested the fire optic lines and they were fine but with the amber tips into the signal lite housing I am not getting enough lite tranfer to see them in the markers. has anyone had this problem?

Grant, where do you have the fiber optic line going into the housing.  The lines for the headlight actually go into the lamp plug but the ones for the front turn signals don't.  It may be that you have the lines going into the wrong area of the housing.

rob

I used the factory openings on the top of the housing inserting the factory amber ends with the fibre optic inside that. I polished the amber inserts with a headlite polish, thought that would help, maybe they are too shiny? I dressed the fibre optic ends with 1000 wet and that helped brighten them up. Any suggestions?

Are you fiber cables old. If so you might have breaks inside. Try a flash light. Also make sure the fiber end is cut at a 90 degree.

Grant, there were no amber inserts, nor were the actual fiber optics amber.  The only thing that should be amber is the bulb itself.  The lens should be clear and the turn sjgnal reflector should be a shiny chrome/mirror like finish.

rob

Here is what mine came with but wasn't hooked up. Also the rubber plug that was in the hole.

So, fibre all tests good with lots of light. Do you just put the end of the fibre trough the rubber grommet and adjust in and out to get the right light?

1603247117172732288135.jpg

1603247194736544353812.jpg

Grant,

I am sorry but I can not answer the adjustment question.  Mine came from the factory with this option and the only thing I had to do to get it fully operational is splice the lines from the rear lights because they had been cut by someone along the line to install a new rear package tray.  

Hopefully CK Collins will chime in with a possible answer because this is an option his car did not come with but he added so maybe he knows for sure if he had to adjust them.

rob

Grant,

I will tell you the truth, I have only had the lens off one time and that was to clean them.  I have never really looked to see what the end of them looks like.  If I can get up top the storage garage I will try to see if I can look at them for you.

rob

Going by memory I think the front has two different size fiber cables. I think the larger one goes to the signal light and the smaller goes to the head light.