How many cans of spray paint for frame

71_402_NC

I am going to be stripping and painting my frame. I am thinking of using Eastwood rust encapsulator platinum. Then top coated with Eastwood extreme chassis black. I plan on 2 coats of the black but trying to figure out how many cans per coat. Thanks

21 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Many people buy POR and use that on the frame.  It is a great product

rob

I have used it on my Frame and applies well with the Frame clean.  Only drawback I see is when I end up getting more on me than the vehicle :B.  Also, POR 15 does not work well when in sunlight as the UV rays attack it.  When I replaced my rear bumper, I painted the backside of the Bumper everywhere right up to the chrome and after 7/8 years, it is still as nice as when I installed it.  Also, due to cost, you should purchase small cans as it goes a long long way and when done, sealing that Can back up is impossible and the contents will dry out if left sitting for to long.  I've used cellophane wrapping between lid and can but once air is introduced, it's a crap shoot.  So I have gotten acclimated to purchasing the pint cans and try to use it up for that application.  Follow the directions and keep it off of you, it will work quite well when precautions are followed.  You can even spay paint over the POR 15 (follow directions) if you've a mind to................

Doug

The Eastwood chassis black is good stuff. It is in a slightly larger can than normal spray paint, and it has a lot of solids in it. It goes on a bit like a textured coating, then lays down smooth as it dries. Its pretty good at hiding surface defects. (it will cover part numbers and make them invisible) You may not feel the need for a 2nd coat. 

The textured look when first applied makes me nervous, and it dries slowly. Almost as slow as rustoleum.  It does not atomize well as it comes from the can. Instead of a fog it is more like droplets. If it didn't cost so much, I would stock up and get extra as it really is different than the thin runny spray paint you get at the box store.

Maybe Eastwood could estimate how much you would need. I have not tried doing any big jobs with it, but would guess 6-8 cans?

Thanks for all your responses.

Wallaby, thanks for the info about the Eastwood spray paint.  And I was thinking 6-8 cans also which is making me reconsider and find a new brand.  Having a hard time justifying the cost per can from Eastwood when I would end up needed 16 at least.  

I plan on using a wire brush on my grinder to clean the frame.  Any thoughts on a primer/sealer for a frame cleaned well with a grinder and wire brush (not blasted and perfectly cleaned) and then a topcoat?  I am looking at Rustoleum, Krylon.  I am trying to make it look original as possible but this will end up being a near daily driver.

Thanks again

I cleaned the frame the best I could with wire wheels on angle grinders and a needle scaler and then sprayed it with the Mastercoat paint I mentioned a few posts up. The first two coats were the rust sealer (similar to por 15 and gray in color) and then a satin black top coat(also from mastercoat). I was pretty happy with it and ended up using the same paint for the radiator support and the underside of the car and the firewall. I sprayed it on with a cheap hvlp gun. You can get a kit that has a quart of the sealer and a quart of the black paint for $85+shipping. That is enough for a frame for sure.