Big block swap

mikeringland

I'm going to be doing a big block swap on my '72 Monte this winter. Currently, I have a 350 4bbl, TH350 with a 12 bolt read end. I'm getting a rebuilt '75 big block that has a distributor, plugs, wires, Edelbrock intake, water pump, 4 speed flywheel, oval port heads and valve covers. I did some research online and this is what I gathered I could use from my 350:

• Quadrajet carb (for now)
  • Power steering pump
  • Alternator
  • A/C compressor
  • Fan
  • Water pump pulley
  • Fuel pump
  • Already has big block springs in front

This is what I saw that I'd have to purchase:

• Motor mounts
  • A/C compressor bracket
  • Power Steering pump bracket
  • Alternator bracket
  • Crank pulley
  • Exhaust manifolds (someone recommended Hooker 2" comp headers for easy installation)
  • Starter
  • 168 tooth automatic flywheel
  • Big block fan shroud
  • Longer throttle cable
  • Possibly shorter valve covers to avoid hitting brake booster
  • Possibly a new radiator?

Does this list sound correct to you guys? Am I missing anything? Where is the best place to buy these brackets? A came upon SS396.com, which seems to have everything. It's geared more towards Chevelle's, but didn't know if there was somewhere else I should look?

Thanks

First, a Chevelle is just a poor mans Monte.  Not much on  Chevelle that wont  fit on the Monte. 

Engine mounts are the same, just pull them off the 350. 

Nothing easy about 2 inch headers. I used 1-7/8 on my 70 Chevelle, and nightmare 2" Hookers on my 71 Monte. Number 8 plug replacement requires a friend with tiny hands. 

Sounds like you are well on your way.

Like Andy said, many Chevelle parts will work on a Monte. SS396 is good, The Parts Place and OPGI, Speedway Motors are also good.If you know the part #'s you can also shop around the big box parts places.

And like Andy said, 2" primaries on headers will make spark plug access "interesting" If your using 13/16 plugs you'll probably have more fun than just on # 8. 

Mike I use SS396 all the time for parts. I just verify that the part number is the same for a Chevelle and order it there. I am in Mass also and usually receive the parts within 2 days as they ship from Connecticut. For headers I went with Dougs with 1 3/4 tubes, they fit better than the Hooker Super Comps that we’re on my Monte when I bought it. The Dougs headers need to be messaged on one tube by the lower A arm mount but I have no issues changing the spark plugs. I have also heard good things about the figment of Herman 1 3/4 headers also.