SS exhaust tip location

Vaughn

Can anyone tell me how far past the bottom of the rear bumber the SS exhaust tips extend?? Or are they flush?? I can't find any factory specs for this.

Thank you in advance,

Vaughn

Thanks Sam,

I have measured a few and they are all over the place from what I have seen. From flush to as much as 4 inches past. Can't seem to find any info on this and was just wondering if anyone here might know.

Vaughn

Hi Vaughn, i was running into the same situation with my 7T1.

here is what i found out,, you want to see about an inch and a half out the bottom. But not flush and not as far out as the complete bumper. This came from Cameron a reliable source out of Burnaby BC that restores,Montes,chevelles etc. I to searched and could not find a real data on this.

hope this helps,

c you in Penticton

Bill

I can't remember for sure, but in the assembly manuel there is a page that shows this dimension. I belive it is approximatly an 1 1/4" below bumper edge and 1" beyond horizonally. Hope this helps. I will be looking again soon as my tips are about to go on also.

Thanks guys. I will look again tonight in my assembly manual, but I'm going to go with your info.

looking forward to seeing your 7T1 in Penticton Bill.

Vaughn

Vaughn,

I don't have my assy. manual handy from my '70, but tip location is definitely in the 1970 manual. I used it as a reference when I had the exhaust done on my SS. If you can't find it in your '71 manual, email me and I'll look in my assy. manual this weekend.

Jeff

EUREKA, I FOUND IT. In the 72 assembly manuel it is page (sec 8ZZ sheet 2) in the FUEL, TANK, AND EXHAUST SECTION. I opened my manuel straight to it. I guess I must have looked at that page a time or two. The measurements listed are 1.25" below edge of bumper and 1.04" horizonally out from edge.Hope this helps.

Ok, I found it in my 71 assembly manual.(sec UPC 8 sheet 3) Same dimensions as White Knight 71 found in his 72 manual. Looks like all three years are the same. I did notice a side note that mentions an acceptable variance of + or - .25"

Thanks again for everyones time. This is what makes this site so great.

Vaughn

Ok, that's something I just have to comment on.

I know everyone wants their restoration to be as correct as possible, so I don't have a problem with the question. What cracks me up is the answer! I mean really...how exacting does the tailpipe tip have to be placed?

I say thank goodness that Chevrolet gave us that + or - .25 inch tolerance in case we get careless. smile

Really the part that makes me laugh is the desired dimension: 1.04" out horizontally from edge.LOL Then if you add the .25 tolerance(+-), you have acceptable placement of your exhaust tip to be between .79" and 1.29" out horizontally.

I think we should petition the makers, and have the extra 40 thousandths of an inch removed from the desired tailpipe demension. Then you would have perfect pipes at 1" out, and anything between 3/4 and 1-1/4" would be ok.