70 Monte Body bushing mount replacement questions.

Hi! 

I have my rear bumper off and while I do I see the two rear mounts, I was thinking I should replace them while I have the bumper off. 

Who makes the most accurate rubber bushing kit with all the parts needed if you wish to replace all of them up to the radiator?

Can you replace just the back 2 by the rear bumper and then do the others at a later date?

I have read the after replacing them all some things like the doors can be out of alignment and you need to tape or shim with rubber between the doors to avoid paint damage. 

Im planning on heating then spraying the bolts with a lube for a few days to penetrate the bolt.

Thanks for any advice Ive heard horror stories on this job.

---------------------------------------------

This is the kit Ive seen, is it complete and is it OEM size and stock? Ive heard they may not be accurate to the originals?

https://www.opgi.com/chassis-suspension/bushings-mounts/body-mount-bushing-kit/bushing-kit-body-1970-72-monte-carlo-whardware-sb614k.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAy579BRCPARIsAB6QoIYsDQB32vgk2VjPguAgeXXOZYH0CGtN1NiyLqRJQgSKnpAvVvAeWPoaAsCVEALw_wcB

You can order from amazon. Inline tube makes a set that has the gm numbers on them. But at some point gm superseded the original number and inline tube uses the new number. They are a little smaller in diameter but they look great. The kit does not come with bolts and washers. These are the same rubber gm used. Not hard like poly so you should retain the oe ride. And yes I would replace all at one time, albeit a small amount replacing just the back two will raise it up. IMO

It does come as a complete kit but it is not correct for restoration but obviously will work fine. Here are the issues body bushings don’t have gm numbers, the hex nuts should be square nuts for the front four on the body. Like I said above for the bushings and I got the bolts nuts and washers from AMK fastener 

4 hours ago, The Archivist said:

Dtret thank you I will order this set. Were would you recommend to get the bolts washers etc? Im just concerned about having to cut into the metal.

Ae the mount the locations the same as the 70 Chevelle?

You can get the correct looking bolts from in-line tube or as I call them their sister or brother company motor city muscle cars can find them on eBay

The OPGI ones are fine but the difference I noticed between them and in line tube beside having the GM numbers on them is the OPGI brand for lower part of the bushing not the one between the frame of the body but the lower one would not compress and look as good as the ones from in line tube. Just my opinion I replaced my bushings and I liked the in-line tube ones better.

John S

16 minutes ago, John S said:

The OPGI ones are fine but the difference I noticed between them and in line tube beside having the GM numbers on them is the OPGI brand for lower part of the bushing not the one between the frame of the body but the lower one would not compress and look as good as the ones from in line tube. Just my opinion I replaced my bushings and I liked the in-line tube ones better.

John S

Copy that and thank you. Did you have any of the bolts break? Which ones are the problem ones, that could require cutting into the metal?

Thank god I can’t help on which bolts break because all mine came out.  You have to start praying a week or so early and be nice to everyone and the man upstairs may help you out. 🙏🙏

4 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Thank god I can’t help on which bolts break because all mine came out.  You have to start praying a week or so early and be nice to everyone and the man upstairs may help you out. 🙏🙏

Sounds like very good advice. 

31 minutes ago, The Archivist said:

Copy that and thank you. Did you have any of the bolts break? Which ones are the problem ones, that could require cutting into the metal?

Hard to believe but none of my bolts broke maybe at one time or another in the past they may have been taken out but all of mine came out I was very lucky so I went out and bought a couple lottery tickets

Probably an unfair comparison but my car was built and stayed in california until 82 when it went to Illinois and sat in a garage until I bought it this past spring. So I used no heat at all and only has to use Free-all on the 4 at the front of the body. You will most likely have to pull the wheel wells unless you get lucky. The front 4 were a [censored]

12 minutes ago, The Archivist said:

Are they all accessible from underside or will I need to remove the plastic front wheel wells like in the 70 Chevelle mount video above in order to access the middle two around the firewall??

I removed my front inner wheel wells it made it a lot easier.

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Probably an unfair comparison but my car was built and stayed in california until 82 when it went to Illinois and sat in a garage until I bought it this past spring. So I used no heat at all and only has to use Free-all on the 4 at the front of the body. You will most likely have to pull the wheel wells unless you get lucky.
The front 4 were a [censored]

I made a special wrench to hold the square nuts. I took a socket cut it welded into a wrench and bent it so I could access the four square nuts

22 minutes ago, John S said:
26 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Probably an unfair comparison but my car was built and stayed in california until 82 when it went to Illinois and sat in a garage until I bought it this past spring. So I used no heat at all and only has to use Free-all on the 4 at the front of the body. You will most likely have to pull the wheel wells unless you get lucky.
The front 4 were a [censored]

I made a special wrench to hold the square nuts. I took a socket cut it welded into a wrench and bent it so I could access the four square nuts

In blue would you say these circled were the problem ones? Im planning since I have the bumper off to just get the back two done now. 

Bushing areas.jpg

18 minutes ago, The Archivist said:

In blue would you say these circled were the problem ones? Im planning since I have the bumper off to just get the back two done now. 

Bushing areas.jpg

From left to right. There are actually 4 mounts(2 per side) where your first blue circle is. Your second blue circle should not be a problem. I read from guys here on the site the other two problem children are the two behind the axle hump