Reverse lights stay on

Artiefazule

48 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Is the switch on the steering column or in the console?

It is column mounted thank you.

48 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Is the switch on the steering column or in the console?

It is mounted on the  steering column ,thank you.

Did you adjust the switch so it only starts in park/neutral (probably,  since you're able to drive it), and do the reverse lights ever go off, like if you change to different gears?

The switch should have a small hole that a drill bit can be inserted and will keep the tang from moving back and forth. Put the shifter into neutral, then insert the switch and tighten it down. If you still have the original switch it should have an 'N' molded next to the hole on the plastic side.

https://www.ss396.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/sm/GDR-411.pdf

GDR-411blg.jpg

• Like 1

EDIT: I was typing this while Cody posted the above. 🙂

I'm surprised the car doesn't start in gear....

There are slots in the switch where it bolts to the steering column. There should also be a hole in the switch to stick a pin for alignment. Some have one for Park and neutral. Line it up, mount the switch to the column with the slotted screw holes so it is in the proper place, tighten screws. Another, crude method I just saw with google is to put the shifter in reverse, slide the switch until the reverse light come on, tighten switch (wouldn't be my first choice of adjustment method). I've included the service manual procedure, and a pic of the switch I took off my '72 (drill is in Park position for display purposes).

You need to be real careful when you test this to make sure it does not start in gear. Test it in Park & neutral, foot on brake, nothing in front or rear of car, etc. Make sure your reverse lights come on in the proper place, and after you're sure all the above lines up properly, try to start it in reverse and drive (again, foot on brake, nothing in front or behind car). It all sounds harder to do than it really is.

NSS.gif

20201108_192606.jpg

20201108_192621.jpg

20201108_194529.jpg

Gentleman thank you for the insight,I will try the crude method first since the new switch in already installed.i wish it came with instructions, now I know why there was a blue plastic pin inside the switch.i should have never removed it.thanks again.ill repost if I'm successful.