Cam question

Dtret

So I am going to have  my engine rebuilt. The builder suggested that I go with roller cam and lifters due to the fact there is no zinc in modern oil and it will cause premature cam and lifter wear. He did say that I can use a zinc additive. Roller cam and lifters add about 800 to the price. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

So I am going to have  my engine rebuilt. The builder suggested that I go with roller cam and lifters due to the fact there is no zinc in modern oil and it will cause premature cam and lifter wear. He did say that I can use a zinc additive. Roller cam and lifters add about 800 to the price. Thoughts?

Remember restoration not racing. But not that concerned about internals

I have a flat tappet cam (stock) in mine now. I bought a flat tappet cam and lifter set to go in when I rebuilt it (a little above stock) I always add zinc to the oil when I change it and obviously will after I rebuild it. And high zinc oil to break it in. Just my 2 cents.

I have a solid flat tappet in my 496. I use joe gibbs oil that has a high zinc content. A friend of mine that builds engines said I should change to the rotella oil. High zinc and cheaper. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 1992,  I pulled the original 4/bolt main ,, 041 heads, 300HP,, 350 engine  and stored it in my shop for 28 years. 

Just rebuilt this original numbers matching engine 20/over, with roller cam..  The Roller cam makes a huge difference in how the engine handles power. The power is smooth through out the power band and does it effortlessly and quieter… This is a great upgrade..!!

Rear end ratio is 256 gearing,,  700r4 transmission,,,,w1900stall converter  … 215/70 tires… Engine has great power and lots of low end torque between 1000rpm to 4500. ..    Engine currently has 750 miles on break in … Highway millage was 19MPG during break in…. local milage is about 14mpg …. … No need to lie about economy.. It seems to get the best mileage at 70 to 75.. RPM at that speed was about 2100. My tach is a bit off, so I'm not certain … … This car is set for cross country and freeway driving …. 

I actually got 20mpg back in 2005 during a 28 state cross country 9000 mile trip.  

Ed C.

giaefclgaonjoepk.jpg

On 11/10/2020 at 10:09 AM, Dtret said:

Remember restoration not racing. But not that concerned about internals

I used a roller cam ..Great upgrade… 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a roller in mine. The roller will improve your bottom-end torque, but it idles smoother than a flat tappet type. You get the benefits, but it doesn't sound as mean.

My local NAPA auto parts sells a motor oil for "classic cars" that has the required zinc for flat tappets. I think Lucas makes it.

On 12/1/2020 at 5:21 PM, wallaby said:

I have a roller in mine. The roller will improve your bottom-end torque, but it idles smoother than a flat tappet type. You get the benefits, but it doesn't sound as mean.

My local NAPA auto parts sells a motor oil for "classic cars" that has the required zinc for flat tappets. I think Lucas makes it.

Lucas seems to work well for me. I used the Lucas break-in oil. and currently using the 10/30 Lucas racing oil with Zinc. . Even though I have a roller cam I feel safer  with zinc…  I plan to use the 10w/40 with a K/N filter on my next oil change. 

What amazes me is how smooth the engine runs and how much power this engine has. The Roller cam is worth every dime it cost. I'll take the 20MPG with power to spare any time…  My Daily Drivers.     

MCInterior2_2_2_2_2.jpg

19693580_1501450009900908_3888570182642648752_o.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Beautiful car.

I'm the second owner of mine.. I've owed it more years than the original owner…He had it 17 years. I've owned for 30 years…  I added the Rally wheels to the Bonneville about 10 years ago. Got tired of chasing after 14 " tires. 

untitled folder-46.jpg