Console Neutral Safety Switch...Obviously, Something isn't Right

I'm moving the shifter to the floor and according to OPGI, I should be able to easily move the neutral safety switch from the column to the floor. Yeah, I can bolt it in, but the switch obviosly wont work like this since the switch wont ride in the slot attached to the shifter:

20201112_160042.thumb.jpg.ada714fddcd7bc6cc948e02bbcb117d3.jpg20201112_160053.thumb.jpg.bffd507aa9f71e8db243199e8a55ee3d.jpg

Is there a different NSS for column shift vs floor shift cars? The few pics I've seen seem to indicate so, but before I go ordering something, I figured I'd consult the experts here.

Thanks in advance!

Is it that big of an issue that the neutral safety switch has to be in the console? Can you leave it on the column? Then with the backdrive from the trans to the column will work the switch.

• Like 1

Yes, they are different switches.

Like Tom said though, if you use the factory back drive linkage to rotate the steering column sleeve, it'll still actuate the NSS. If you don't plan to retain it, then you need a different switch,  and have to run wires to the console area.

I had to replace mine for the console shifter, picked it up from here:

https://www.musclecarcentral.com/1968-1972-Neutral-Safety-Switch-A-T-Console-p/das-284-ch.htm

27 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Is it that big of an issue that the neutral safety switch has to be in the console? Can you leave it on the column? Then with the backdrive from the trans to the column will work the switch.

Just now, jft69z said:

Yes, they are different switches.

Like Tom said though, if you use the factory back drive linkage to rotate the steering column sleeve, it'll still actuate the NSS. If you don't plan to retain it, then you need a different switch,  and have to run wires to the console area.

That's the way I was headed but figured I'd look into relocating it. I have a harness already. 

1 minute ago, BobRob said:

That's the way I was headed but figured I'd look into relocating it. I have a harness already. 

I just edited my post, added a link to the place I got my new switch.

7 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I just edited my post, added a link to the place I got my new switch.

That's a different bracket than the one on the column. Thanks for the link, think I'll pick one up and fiddle around with it. 

Yeah, square peg in a round hole. The one on the column is different than the one mounted on the floor shifter.

12 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Yeah, square peg in a round hole. The one on the column is different than the one mounted on the floor shifter.

I'm finding OPGI to be less than reliable when it comes to tech info. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BobRob said:

I'm finding OPGI to be less than reliable when it comes to tech info. 

Or shipping your parts in a reasonable time frame...at a reasonable cost a lot of the times.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was just looking into this same issue.  My service manual says there are two locations for the NSS (Automatic Transmission).  One style is identified as FLOOR SHIFT EARLY PRODUCTION and mounts to the shifter.  The other style is COLUMN SHIFT AND INTERIM FLOOR SHIFT and mounts to the column.  I was looking at NSSs at a couple places online and they all showed the floor shift mount style but I have floor shift and my NSS is mounted on the column.  Was not looking forward to relocating it so glad I saw the "Interim" thing.  Attached a shot of the diagram from the manual.

NSS_1.jpg