Another Wa State

Ron

Hi, Ron here,

I am in Wa. Just south of Seattle.  I have had my Monte (ss454) since 1978 when I was a Jr. In high school.  We have been through a lot together and now she is in need of restoration and has been parked (garaged) for almost 30 yrs.  It is complete with about 115000 miles, but needs bodywork and interior which I hope to complete some day.  However lately inhage been thinking of putting her up for sale just not sure what to value her for or if that is what i really want to do???

Just thougt I would throw this out there and see what the interest is

1970 MCSS454 pics 010.jpg

1970 MCSS454 pics 005.jpg

1970 MCSS454 pics 001.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah that washer fluid fibre is something for that time,

Air ride is there as are all correct dates etc... she is just partially disassembled but all is right. 

It has tilt steering, air, power locks, and manual windows, tach etc.,buckets and console, map light on mirror, standard hubcaps (but added Rally's) am 8 track stereo (cassete deck in now but still have orig) bumper guards, 256 gears, 

I have had this so long there is no question about it's authenticity even have the build sheet.  Back in the day I was told they did not exist my buddies had never even heard of one until i showed them this one.

Not sure yet what I'm going to do yet

There is a long funny story on how I ended up with this one maybe I will post it later.

That is exactly why I still have it...

they are irreplacable, especialy one with history and which took me through my school days...

if I do sell I know will always regret it...

but not sure I will ever get to it???

I agree you should rebuild it.... but if you think otherwise I would be interested also!

I’m actually excited you are so close. Feel free to reach out if you want to swap stories.

The photos posted make it look pretty good, and I love the plate if it’s authentic!

1 hour ago, SandSpyder said:

I agree you should rebuild it.... but if you think otherwise I would be interested also!

I’m actually excited you are so close. Feel free to reach out if you want to swap stories.

The photos posted make it look pretty good, and I love the plate if it’s authentic!

Plate is real, we should talk sometime

Ok here is the long story,

It starts in 1978 when I was 16 and tired of driving Mom’s Station Wagon...after saving enough money to by my first car, a 1968 Nova I had my freedom.  8 months, 1 red light, 2 cars, a telephone pole, Later and I was again driving the Wagon with the fake wood stickers on the sides.  Not cool...

So, back to work, and parting out what was left of the Nova and a few months later I had enough to by a cheap beater and insurance and had been looking at what I could afford then I saw my first ss454 Monte in the want ads, I called and talked to the owner and made arrangement to see it the next Sunday even though he was going to be away he said feel free to look it over inside and out and left it unlocked.  Once I saw it I knew I had to have it!

Over the next couple days I kept calling but no answer, the third day he answered I told him who I was and that I wanted the car he said he remembered talking with me and he felt bad but had cash in hand and the car just drove away....

well it was more than I had saved and  would have had to borrow from Dad to get it anyway so maybe for the best and I could get on to buying something I could get on the road right away, but it was Heartbreaking...

the next week my Dad and I were going to probably buy one of the cars I had already looked at but before leaving my Mom kept saying here’s a Monte... here’s another bla bla bla .

I said I wasn’t interested that I wanted the first one because it was a ss454 .

anyway, as we left she had called and got an address for a Monte in the area we were heading and made us take that along

we went to see the car I thought I was going to by and after a drive by my Dad said let’s go see what this one is...

when we pulled up to the address there it was ss454 the lady that had it had no idea what it was  but I did,

we did not go back to that other car a 4 door 1968 malibu with a 307...

Dad loaned me some money saying first to pay him then to buy tires (they were toast) then insurance, until then it stays in the garage...
a month later I had his money and paid him back in cash, he handed it back to me and said buy your tires and insurance and put me on a payment plan for his share.

good lessons for a kid that they just don’t teach anymore.

• Like 1

Great story! Thanks for sharing, I agree with the others here. If nothing else, get her road worthy and drive her. You can’t replace that history. My story is similar. I was 16 years old in 1978 when I purchased my 71. I was $300 short of the asking price, so my dad loaned me the money. I still have her today.

ron, great story, I also drove a 75 ford esquire station wagon in 1978,with the fake wood sides ,then when i was a so. in high school bought my 72 custom from the original owner,who also lives in plainfield il.I would have a hard time selling my car but know one day I have to let her go.