Holley sniper EFI

jim's 70

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I installed a Sniper on my small block

Like others said, it’s pretty easy. 
love being able to depend on it starting. 
Red plug wires were only ones I had in the shop. I replaced them later

214B75D9-3EF5-427F-8CBA-6DD58B2FAAAA.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Do any of you guys that installed the sniper system have any feedback? Along with feedback I am curious of cubic inch and cam specs. I and a few people I know installed the FITECH units with pretty gnarly cams ended up going back to carbs because of mostly idle issues. 

I personally want to supercharge one of my cars that currently uses nitrous. Was thinking of the sniper system but a little gun shy…

If you're supercharging, you may want to get a more powerful system from Holley than a Sniper.

My buddy is in the midst of troubles with a Sniper system as we speak. The Holley forums are full of issues with that system, but possibly because of the sheer numbers of systems out there.

I am very happy with my Sniper. My gas mileage increased by a third. On our trip to Carlisle we started out at 12MPH on the third tank it increased to 16 MPH. The Sniper is a self learning system and it had to adjust to my engine. My son in-law set it up as they suggested and it ran really good but now it runs fantastic. I have a SMB 350 bored 20 over with flat top pistons, roller cam and lifters, HEI distributor, hooker headers hooked up to 2 1/2” stainless exhaust 700r4 Tranny and Richmond 3:73 positraction

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

If you're supercharging, you may want to get a more powerful system from Holley than a Sniper.

My buddy is in the midst of troubles with a Sniper system as we speak. The Holley forums are full of issues with that system, but possibly because of the sheer numbers of systems out there.

Any details on the problems he is having? 

28 minutes ago, Jason72 said:

Car wouldn't run, he had to send it back to Holley, got it back, still doesn't run right. I haven't been there yet to troubleshoot it, but another shop next door to him was helping so far.

Go to the Holley tech forums, do a little research. That being said, a lot of people like Larry have had good results.

Still, if you plan on supercharging, I'd consider a more powerful unit than the Sniper. I currently have the Dominator series ECM on both my Monte & Z/28 with unlimited capabilities. Definitely overkill for my application, but it was the only one that had certain capabilities I wanted (dual oxygen sensor capability, transmission control).

Chris at EFI System Pro may be someone to reach out to for recommendations as well. I've gotten a few things from them, and they were very knowledgeable. Holley has plenty of different systems/ECM's, and he may be able to suggest one that may be perfect for you.

https://www.efisystempro.com/

I put a Holley Sniper on my 87 gmc 454 3 years ago and still having problems! Sent it back once and they said it had bent injector pins which they replaced and still runs very inconsistant. Floods when you shut it off hot, coff and sputters maybe 10 mpg fouls plugs. There last sugestion was to drive 500 miles to a service center. I just pulled it off to wrap all the wiring in foil and tape to eliminate some frequincy problems and also rubber coated the bottom of the air cleaner because it can also cause feedback problems. Just about ready to throw the whole works in the garbage. That is my 2 cents worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

My other thought although more expensive is to use a terminator ecu with factory style intake and supporting components. 

the problem that I’ve come across with the fitech unit was mostly (I assume) camshaft related. My 427 sbc has a 106 lsa 260 @ .050 and very low vacuum. 

2 minutes ago, Grant MacPherson said:

I put a Holley Sniper on my 87 gmc 454 3 years ago and still having problems! Sent it back once and they said it had bent injector pins which they replaced and still runs very inconsistant. Floods when you shut it off hot, coff and sputters maybe 10 mpg fouls plugs. There last sugestion was to drive 500 miles to a service center. I just pulled it off to wrap all the wiring in foil and tape to eliminate some frequincy problems and also rubber coated the bottom of the air cleaner because it can also cause feedback problems. Just about ready to throw the whole works in the garbage. That is my 2 cents worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

My fitech ended up smashed in pieces and sent back to them. Their support was horrible. And the unit was trash. I know people and talked to people that love it on their car but the engine is mostly stock. 

27 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Car wouldn't run, he had to send it back to Holley, got it back, still doesn't run right. I haven't been there yet to troubleshoot it, but another shop next door to him was helping so far.

Go to the Holley tech forums, do a little research. That being said, a lot of people like Larry have had good results.

Still, if you plan on supercharging, I'd consider a more powerful unit than the Sniper. I currently have the Dominator series ECM on both my Monte & Z/28 with unlimited capabilities. Definitely overkill for my application, but it was the only one that had certain capabilities I wanted (dual oxygen sensor capability, transmission control).

Chris at EFI System Pro may be someone to reach out to for recommendations as well. I've gotten a few things from them, and they were very knowledgeable. Holley has plenty of different systems/ECM's, and he may be able to suggest one that may be perfect for you.

https://www.efisystempro.com/

I’ll check them out. Thanks. 

On 7/29/2022 at 8:29 PM, Jason72 said:

Any cam specs? Approximate is fine.

I do not know the specs but it is an Erson E119813 cam, Erson SL80 roller lifters, 1417-16 comp cam rockers, H345dcp020 hypertech pistons and stock GM 1921485 Small Block pushrods

I have no idea what most of this means but just copied it off of my invoice

3 minutes ago, Leghome said:

I do not know the specs but it is an Erson E119813 cam, Erson SL80 roller lifters, 1417-16 comp cam rockers, H345dcp020 hypertech pistons and stock GM 1921485 Small Block pushrods

I have no idea what most of this means but just copied it off of my invoice

Lol. Just part numbers of the installed components. Looks like it’s bored 20 over. He can take the part numbers, do a search and get the cam specs. 

20 minutes ago, Jason72 said:

219/219@.050. 110 lsa. Thanks 

It runs really good for what I wanted. Nice lope with good street performance. Quinlin Automotive on south Madison Ave in Indianapolis did all of the work on the engine

On 7/29/2022 at 8:31 PM, Jason72 said:

Talked to my buddy this morning. He has to send the Sniper back again after talking to Holley tech. Fuel was pouring out the back two injectors this time. They don't have any units on the shelf to send him, severely backordered they said.

Took our 72 to Sandwich for a car show Saturday in Dekalb IL at the Parts Place INC. Vey nice show with around 150 cars. On the way the car died 3 times and we had to wait a couple of minutes to get it restarted. Started watching the hand held controller and it was jumping around like crazy when ever the car was about to die. Also while we were driving along the engine would stutter and the AFR(I think) reading would jump from around 14 into the 30's. Checked for interference and could not find anything that looked like a problem. On the way home it only died once and that was just as we were about to get on I 80 west of Joliet IL. It did stutter a couple of times on the way home but did run better. On the way up we did travel a lot of interstate and on the way home only about 25 miles of interstate. By bypassing the interstate the trip was only about 45 minutes longer but a heck of a lot more enjoyable without having to keep our eyes on all of the idiots on the road. So now I am undecided on how well I am liking my Sniper, on one hand the performance and economics have improved but now this problem has developed so the jury is out.

How long & how many miles have you had the Sniper system Larry?

I tend to pass over the majority of Sniper related posts on the Holley forum, but they do have some common failure problems. Grounding is one of them & bad Coolant Temperature Sensors (CTS) ring a bell too. With that system, there are alternate sensors than the Holley one, I seem to recall. If it comes down to that, I think I have some info saved, or just go to their Sniper forum and search CTS. May be worth a trip over there anyways, you may find out a lot of useful info and troubleshooting tips.

Do you have a baffled gas tank. If not that might be a problem. Our original tanks did not have them and the new replaced one don’t have them. It needs to be ordered with the baffles.

57 minutes ago, MC-71 said:

Do you have a baffled gas tank. If not that might be a problem. Our original tanks did not have them and the new replaced one don’t have them. It needs to be ordered with the baffles.

Very valid points in general for an EFI conversion. But... Larry has had this system in place for a while, running with no issues. The sputtering, whacky readings on the handheld display, and hard restart possibly point to other issues (at least to me, unless the fuel level in the tank was pretty low in all those instances).

• Like 1