Windshield Dam Foam Tape

MC-71

Has anyone used this Dam Tape to hold back the urethane from going into your car on replacing the windshield and back glass? Can you post the size tape you used. I’m finding on line to use 3/16x3/16. I really think it should be thicker.

I got the 3/16" from Beldenspeed (rustreplace.com) at their recommendation. Any thicker, the window may sit up too much in spots. That being said, there were a few areas that the urethane crept under anyways, probably due to the flange being uneven, and maybe the shape of the glass. But, the areas that it sat tight with the foam dam, the window installed at the right height & the stainless trim sat good.

I have an extra roll if you need it.

https://www.rustreplace.com/home/1970-1972-monte-carlo

• Like 1

Thanks Joe. My Monte is in Connecticut at my cousins body shop. His glass guy says he doesn’t need it because the Urethane he uses firms up fast and the Florida heat won’t soften it.🥵. I did it years ago with butyl. Never had a problem. No one what’s to used that anymore. He’s been dragging his feet to getting it done. I think I will order 2 rolls from belden and have them shipped to my cousin.

Thanks for the help and I trust your judgment. Anyone that could build back a Monte like yours is tops with me.

Thank you for the kind words Carl, appreciate it.

It's probably not 'necessary', installers lay windshields in everyday without the foam dam. This was the first time I actually used the foam, in the past it was butyl (many years ago) and urethane after that with no issues. I chose to use it mainly because its been a number of years since I installed any, so figured it couldn't hurt. Most may not use it because of the added cost & time to install the tape...."time is money", and most people probably wouldn't know the difference either way.

I have a glass installer that uses the 3/16 3M window tape on our older cars. When I had my 72 redone in 2013 the installers used that danged caulking tube crap and my rear window sits to high. Scott told me $100 to cut out and reinstall. Heck of a price. He is not sure he wants to do the Windshield because they are much harder to remove without breaking them.