ECC Part

TheBMan

Hello and thanks for having me! Recently purchased a numbers matching 72 Monte in very good condition. I'm trying to get it back to 100% original and functional. Trying to figure out what this part is. Mounted on intake manifold, next to Quadrajet carb. One vacuum line going to charcoal canister. Electrical connector was not/is not plugged in. Has two other vacuum ports that are capped. Can anyone tell me what it is/does and what the capped ports are for? Thanks!

solenoid-lg.jpg

TCS -Transmission Controlled Spark. It is common for this to be missing. There should be a vacuum line coming from the front of the carb to the solenoid. Then one from the solenoid to the vacuum advance on the distributor. There’s an electrical connection too coming from the firewall.

• Like 1

@Canuck - Thanks. Yes, after I posted I continued to research and found exactly what you said. I do have the electrical connector although it was unplugged (you can see it if you look closely at the picture). I understand why it's used and although I see it as purely an emission-related device, the car is a numbers-matching car and I'm trying to keep the car 100% original so I'll test it to make sure everything works and then hook it back up. Thank you very much!

• Like 1

If you haven’t already(I might have missed it) go to the new member section and introduce yourself and post some pictures of that ride of yours. I see your from Ohio. I’m just east of Cincinnati 

On 11/27/2020 at 9:42 PM, Dtret said:

If you haven’t already(I might have missed it) go to the new member section and introduce yourself and post some pictures of that ride of yours. I see your from Ohio. I’m just east of Cincinnati 

Thanks! As soon as I get the car where I want it, I'll post some pics. It's pretty nice now but I want to get it just right. 🙂