Surprise in the garage

Canuck

So I’ve been working in the garage taking a wall down between the two bays. There has bever been an opening in that wall before. The day after I opened up the wall my wife, April, takes the garbage out to the garage and she nearly has a heart attack to see a strange man in the garage. She settled down once she realized it was just Jamie McMurray. That cardboard cutout has been there for years but just not visible from the door to the house before. 😂

993F1CF6-949F-4A6B-83F9-F73EFA6CA285.jpeg

• Haha 1

Here’s some photos of the progress. I wanted the garage more open at the back end to move a little more freely and I’ll be able to work on cars in both bays easier now.
53B1DF62-1745-4EFA-9EC3-944EE01233D1.jpeg63BE78B8-1965-41B9-A233-A35D53DE4F22.jpeg5D1EA6AE-1F03-46D3-BDBE-3C36F6601279.jpeg7C0F407A-CE03-419B-A89A-AC3D2264B080.jpeg922A0383-A1A0-476B-9781-E890FD4CE0B2.jpeg9A31BCEF-E8D6-4408-83E2-DFAB14F68A42.jpegCBF58F45-46D8-4387-8927-93C2504AB705.jpeg

• Like 2

I will also have a 10x11 area to put a TV and a couch for a mini man cave. I’ll be able to see the TV from the bays where the Montes are too so I can have the NASCAR race on while working in there. I may even get a small fridge. Party at my place once the pandemic is over!

D888994D-5875-4A2D-9B9F-8BAC5B944890.jpeg

• Like 4

Pandemic work! Lolol have gotten alot of work done to the fleet and a few other, outsiders cars thanks to this 🤬😡🤬🤬!!! Lolol. Nice plans and nice garage (s)! 

• Like 1

Looks great, it'll be like a whole new building.

I added a small fridge earlier in the year. Turns out it gets more use than I ever considered it would, especially with all the work I did out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, willie said:

Aaron the garage looks great, more open space is better. Maybe put a 3rd in there.   lol

I can’t have 3 and stay married.

• Like 1

Still a couple more coats of mud before I can sand and paint. I can’t wait to put all the benches/cupboards back together and tidy things up.

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Still a couple more coats of mud before I can sand and paint. I can’t wait to put all the benches/cupboards back together and tidy things up.

I hate doing drywall,  I'm doing a spot on my bedroom ceiling where my roof leaked from wind damage in the spring.  My insurance company screwed around so long I ended cutting a section 24x39 inches out and replaced it with new. Now mudding and getting it smooth so as to not be able to tell there was ever damage.  I did get a neat sander you hook right to a vacuum cleaner so there is no dust when sanding. Sanding screens dont last very long thought.  Your garage looks great.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I hate doing drywall, ......  I did get a neat sander you hook right to a vacuum cleaner so there is no dust when sanding. 

I hate it too, rather sand body filler (hate that too, lol).  I picked up one of those vacuum sanding attachments years ago, real slick tool!

• Like 1

Mudding is done! Sanding tomorrow.

It is nice to move freely between the two bays now. It will be easier to work on the cars.

The old wood bench and cupboards on the right of the first photo was built by my Grandfather in the 50s. I grew up with this in my Dad’s shop and I’ve had it many years myself. It’s nothing special but sentimental to work on something used by the prior two generations. The bench happened to fit perfectly under an existing white/grey bench in this garage so I put it there and put the cupboard section on top. Note the old glass peanut butter and pickle jars from the 50s on the bottom of the cupboards.

EA1CDF97-4BA3-4FD5-A2C7-AC4F45B33E1B.jpeg

57E1257D-43FD-41DB-ADCE-E4E930048203.jpeg

6719D891-C9BF-4266-ADE8-7D5A6A6F3371.jpeg

5E7BAF65-8103-4184-8082-39020A8BD293.jpeg

• Like 2

I love the jars and they worked great back in the day when they only used 20(?) bolts on a car. Imagine what the jars would look like today. To take off a door panel nowadays requires 15 different tools and 30 different types of fasteners. You’d have 300 jars to work on one car. And they car it modern technology, I call it something else. 

1 hour ago, 1970mcss said:

Looking good, its great that you kept the cabinets, they don't build things like they did in the old days. How are the jars held in place? Are the lids screwed to the bottom?

The lids are nailed to the bottom of the cupboards.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I love the jars and they worked great back in the day when they only used 20(?) bolts on a car. Imagine what the jars would look like today. To take off a door panel nowadays requires 15 different tools and 30 different types of fasteners. You’d have 300 jars to work on one car. And they car it modern technology, I call it something else. 

My Dad always had different types of nails in them so that’s whats in there still. I play around with wood projects once in a while so they come in handy. I may switch things up once I get everything settled though as there are some items in the jars I never use.

1 hour ago, Leghome said:

Sure go ahead and throw some of them away and in 10 days you will need them. Don't ask How I know

I won’t throw them away, just move them to a different spot.