72 MC Transmission Crossmember Replacement

Hi,

I have a ‘72 Monte Carlo is had the original 400 motor in it, paired with a Th350 Transmission. It was stolen in August, fortunately I was able to recover the body (they completely gutted my baby) a couple days later. I’m feeling better and ready to bring her back need help. There are no direct listings or direct fits when I search online. The only crossmember that I keep running into is for 72 Chevelle, and I know they are built on same/similar frames so most parts are interchangeable,but I’m not sure. Any help? 

I'll take a stab at your question, at least from what's on my car (originally a 402 BB/T400). My x-member was different than the aftermarket ones they are selling for the Chevelle's. First, they don't seem to have as much of a 'hump' for the exhaust pipes to pass under. Second, the ends of mine are  flat and slip into a rubber 'envelope' and bracket that bolts to the frame. The Chevelle ones look different and also have some type of notch that wouldn't allow that sleeve deal to fit. Also 2 drilled holes vs. only one for the Monte. Other's here have said they're not as sturdy as an original GM part either. 

Here is the 'sleeve' part I mentioned above. Not sure if it's on all Monte engine packages, but I do recall it being on my other '72 Custom that had a 350/T350 as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-C6-Corvette-Visor-Garage-Door-Transitter-OEM-25811342/164231936390?hash=item263cfc7986:g:7aoAAOSwmFle2TWx

Sorry to hear about the theft. As far as the cross member, any 68-72 gm a-body will bolt in. Slight differences as we're notes but will all work. The Chevelles cross member bolts directly to the frame where the Monte Carlo is isolated by the rubber. I personally like the Chevelle mounting better. Less movement and up here in the north east the rubber isolated crossmembers tend to rust/rot in the rubber. 

The crossmember in my 71 402 4speed Monte Carlo is identical to the Chevelle crossmember. Bends and all including that it bolts directly to the frame. No rubber isolators. 

• Like 1

Several members on this site sell used parts. I’m sure they will chime in and help. Sorry about your car but the good thing is we here are all willing to help with any questions or issues that you may have. Good luck