Rear Deck Filler Panel?

Jaywes

Hello!

I'm new to the group.  I recently bought a 1972 Monte Carlo and the panel pictured below has significant rust and needs to be replaced.  I believe this panel is called a rear deck filler panel.  I have seen them on sale for under 100 bucks and I wonder if anybody had some advice or anything I should be aware of before ordering the panel and having a fab shop repair it for me.  From the second picture I believe the trunk edges are not compromised.  I have never purchased a classic car so all of this is new to me, but I finally pulled the trigger on buying my dream car.  Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

https://www.opgi.com/sheet-metal-body-panels/trunk-panels/steel-panel-between-trunk-rear-window3/panel-rear-window-to-trunk-1968-72-chevelle-70-72-monte-69-70-gp-import-ch25502.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInMaji_Ov7QIVpB-tBh0HNAktEAQYBSABEgJvdfD_BwE

IMG_4052.thumb.JPG.84857697d196cdca3ca6869f49a3395c.JPGIMG_4059.thumb.JPG.d24e1f4aaeb0d3367828420f04d65713.JPG

Welcome to the club, you'll find a lot of info and great people here.

Check this site below out, they have a lot of info and parts to repair that back window area. Poke around and you'll also find diagrams for the window clip stud locations, clip types, etc. Wealth of info there too.

http://www.beldenspeed.com/technical-center-downloads/a-body-trunk-filler-panel-installation-tips

https://www.rustreplace.com/home/1970-1972-monte-carlo

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jaywes said:

Thank you! Both of these links are very helpful.

You're welcome. Poke around the left side links on that site, especially the tech section, etc. Lot of good stuff.

Oh, one other thing. I see you have a link to OPGI. You'll not find a lot of love for them here on this site, me included. Very long ship times, crazy shipping costs, backordered parts forever, etc. are some of the complaints. Quick tip, cut/paste the OPGI part number into google and you'll find the same part elsewhere, usually in stock and cheaper. In this parts' case, the initial price seems lower than Summit, Jegs, etc, until you see they add a $5 "free ship exempt' fee, $16 'handling fee, and so on. 

Just a thought, since it looks like you'll be hitting a lot of parts vendors up in the future. A couple that I've used with good success: Summit, Jegs, The Parts Place, SS396, Leo Konik, and a few varied others. Inline Tube is another one I use as a last resort now a days after some customer service/quality issues. Sometimes they're the only one to have the parts I needed, but not for lack of me trying to find another source.

Good luck, don't hesitate to ask for help here, & we like pictures...lots of pictures.

Also look at the panel that is underneath the filler it is also probably rusted. The under panel is part of the rear deck that holds the speakers,it is a larger panel but probably needs to also be replaced. I know from experience and have replaced several of them good luck.

KIMG1714.JPG

KIMG1712.JPG

• Like 1

If the panel under the deck filler is decent I'd clean it up and section the replacement panel to fit in there. If you are going to need to replace one or both quarter panels than I'd remove and replace it completely. Kevin's got the right idea, though!

• Like 1

It all depends how bad your under piece is, and how nice you want your car, how much money etc. From the looks of it, you will need a new package tray as well as deck filler panel. If you don't care about people scrutinizing your car, and there are just a few holes in the bottom piece, you can just patch it, since it will be virtually hidden when done anyways.