New Member checking in

Glen

Bought myself an early retirement gift and figured this was THE place to obtain valuable info, resources, etc. My ‘70 SS was born in Van Nuys CA, spending her whole life in Chandler & Phoenix AZ and California except for a 2 year jaunt to Wisconsin for a frame off in 2004/06. Going to drive her houses for the next few years and then reconsider my options at that point. Previous owner did some mild mods to increase her performance and keep her cool in the desert heat, but included all original parts that were upgraded. She arrived with build sheet and protecto-plate. Too bad I had to put her up for the winter already… She’s bubble wrapped for the Chicago winter... spring can’t get here soon enough!

3BE6B256-C5B2-4CEA-87F8-2C116E27E2EF.png

B758A714-D642-44CE-AADE-DED7ECE7DB54.jpeg

CF066937-1395-4B2C-9A62-0130CE3FC9F4.jpeg

ED717D94-797A-47F9-9341-1BD15D672C89.jpeg

621A8CC6-E7B3-4F04-A583-15CF0C30E162.jpeg

B28CBBDA-786F-47C3-B674-5A8BDA8F4CBB.jpeg

25228872-E646-439C-960E-9143BED03F4A.jpeg

66FE1C66-8E7C-45FE-BECE-51918DF62A18.png

212630CE-6842-459B-8175-81F15DDD4E50.jpeg

BE8B79E2-666B-4A69-80BF-46EC82AADD58.jpeg

DDC7FCC4-CC42-4A39-B5D4-30D9974A71D7.png

Thanks MC1of80... I look forward to picking the collective brain of the clubs membership as questions/concerns/issues arise. It’s nice to know these cars are appreciated and that there’s people willing to help and share tips and clues. 

Thanks one and all for the warm welcome. I was fortunate enough to have a couple weeks of nice weather after she arrived from CA to put a few hundred miles on her. Totally looking forward to local shows and cruises next summer for starters, and then club events. Steering is just a tad off, so I’ll be looking for a reliable place for an alignment and tires (don’t trust the local Firestone’s, etc.). Also - and more importantly - going to need a somewhat local tranny shop to address the mild seepage at the Speedo cable and vacuum shift module come springtime.  If anyone can offer reliable options, I’m open to suggestions as my long-time mechanic sold his shop effective next week. I’ve been told they’re easy enough fixes, likely bad O-rings, but it’s not something I would feel comfortable trying to tackle myself.  Here’s what I’m looking at as discovered by the dude I had inspect the vehicle prior to purchase.  Thanks again one in all, as I jump in headfirst already asking for input...

BA8BDAA1-4FE6-46BA-BCFE-188A6DA5693F.jpeg

22561522-FD6E-467B-AC92-9A5988AE2AD0.jpeg

CFC48494-7B78-4935-A3F6-0429B32905BE.jpeg

FC68A1EB-FD72-4DAB-82F8-00A3DCB61D13.jpeg

1 hour ago, Michael Boyte said:

Looks a lot like one of our members car. 

You didn't buy that from Stan Kulikowski , did you ?

I was thinking the same thing.

rob

Glen, my car had a leak at the shifter shift seal. I had my local guy change it when I was having my ac system changed to r134. I don't think the the other seals you show would be that bad to change your self. 

I’ll do my homework over the winter and size it up come spring time. It wasn’t pressing enough to fix before I put her up for the winter, but we all know that leaks never get better, only worse. Appreciate the input. 

• Like 1

Welcome! Great looking Monte.

My trans leaks to, maybe I will look into it next year.

Bruce

Hey rsorg,

Company is called car capsule if you want to review their products, however I found mine on Amazon for a bit cheaper. It has a 190 CFM Fan on one and that circulates the air three or four times an hour, keeping all the moisture off your precious Monte. You simply unfold it, unzip the three sides and roll the clear top back. Then you center your baby on the floor mat, roll out the clear top over the car, zip it up and plug the fan in. It’s an easy job with two people, but can be accomplished solo if you don’t mind taking some extra time. Says it only costs less than two dollars a month to run. Not only will it keep the car free of moisture, it will keep the dirt and dust from accumulating on it as well as keep out rodents if that’s an issue where you’re at. All the reviews I’ve read of this product I’ve been stellar, so I figured why not??? Have to protect the investment, right?

I forgot to add that there is a slit/grommet in the back where the fan plugs in that you can pull an extension cord through in order to hook up your trickle charger. 

I had one of those bubbles that came with my Harley when I bought it. It could have been a coincidence but my fuel lines and a few other items on the bike were dry rotted. It was a 2001 with 1800 miles and I’m not sure how much the previous owner had it in that thing.

Mark,

I could see that probably being a possibility if the bike was in there a long time with the Capsule being in an area where the ambient atmosphere remained dry/unchanged for prolonged periods. My garage door will be open a few times daily allowing the fan to draw in fresh (and likely at times humid) air. so the humidity levels will definitely constantly fluctuate, it just won’t always be heavy humidity. Excellent observation and thanks for the heads up. 

hi, I have put a damp rid in my monte the last few years ,with my cotton car cover covering it during our chicago winters and the damp rid works great, roger

Very Nice SS !! Speedo gear-ring leak.  That's easy fix, any transmission shop can handle that or get a sealer kit and that will come with other gaskets for all the take off stuff on trans. I like the silver w/black top.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg