Monte on a diet

MADMAC

My Monte Carlo started her diet yesterday!So far I've gotten rid of my fuel tank(not original and was in bad shape),hood hinges and springs,original exhaust hangers,and I removed all of the a/c from the engine compartment;So a/c delete conversion here I come!

Still waiting on my fiberglass hood! mad

My Monte Carlo started her diet yesterday!So far I've gotten rid of my fuel tank(not original and was in bad shape)mad

Soooo, you gonna go solar??? LOL lol Just wondering...... whistle

Carl

get rid of the passenger seat.. taht will save you about 200 lbs right there!! (depending on the weight of your wife and the seat)

LOL

get rid of the passenger seat.. taht will save you about 200 lbs right there!! (depending on the weight of your wife and the seat)

LOL

That was actually quite funny... lol

Whatever you do, do not start hole sawing the frame or any other part of the body to save weight...add hp to the motor before you ever get to that point... wink

Bill

Get up under the dash and pull out the air ducts too smile They are a pain to get out and dont weigh much but its something to take out and then sell and get pretty good money for smile If your not gonna use the heat just put a piece of aluminum over the hole on the firewall... Thats what I did and it looks pretty good. Fiberglass fenders are good but mine took about 6-8 hours each to mount and cut and blah blah... Aluminum radiator, take all the extra crap off of the core support... get rid of all the hood latch stuff and use hood pins... I even took a cut off wheel and chopped up my core support a bit smile Ditch the inner fenders.... I have done a few things to put my car on a diet... dont remember what all I did but so far Im down to 3650 pounds with me and in the car and about 1/2 tank of gas... ( I weigh about 160 ) and its got a big block and at the time a Th400 (will have a 4L80 now) You can buy fiberglass bumpers and doors also if you so desire smile The back seat has a little weight to it... I made an aluminum radiator support bracket... prolly didnt save any weight but looks cool.. smile

if you are interested in top speeds.. do NOT remove the inner fenders...

i think it was when they built project super nova on horsepower

they talked with some pro. race car builder and he poitned out the inner wheel wells are nescearry to keep the air out of the engine bay.. i believe they were having problems with the turbulance screwing with the carb.. but it's been a while.

Originally Posted By: kc8oye

LOL

That was actually quite funny... lol

Whatever you do, do not start hole sawing the frame or any other part of the body to save weight...add hp to the motor before you ever get to that point... wink

Bill

What if you need to add a roll bar/seat belt harness?

I thought it was best to go to the frame or would using floor plates be better suiter for a street/strip.

Bill

Originally Posted By: BigDan
What if you need to add a roll bar/seat belt harness?

I thought it was best to go to the frame or would using floor plates be better suiter for a street/strip.

If you are referring to the part where I say do not holesaw the car, I was just suggesting don't weaken or devalue the car beyond the point that it could never be returned to normal if need be. Some people get crazy and holesaw metal out everywhere to lighten it up not really saving all that much.

Of course you would have to holesaw the floor when trying to weld a tube to the frame when installing a rollbar or cage... wink

Bill

LOL

Wow, I dont know how I missed that one lol

Id agree on not holesawing it, I like the idea of being able to return it to normal if you want to, but it is your car, and there is a whole lot of weight in these cars, thats for sure!

I remember that episode of Horsepower.They said at top speeds the turbulence would actually start pulling fuel out of the carb.I'm gettting my pin-on cowl hood soon and I'm gonna run an isolator plate under the hood to avoid that,and my inner fenders are only about 6 months old so I'll still be using them.

I remember reading in a car mag about a muscle car (pontiac?), that had frame holesawed for weight reduction and caused serious structural integrity problems. I believe the frames were sagging while cars were being transported. eek The weight of the big block was too much. cry

Carl

the frames of these cars are week to begin with, removing any thing from them is not a good idea

if you watch some drag racing videos of "A" bodies with a fairly strong engine and watch how they "twist" coming off the line (drivers front tire comes up, but not the passengers side) you can tell how week they really are eek

Guest K.J Parker

I saw that eposide that kc8oye was talking about. It was Roy Hill's school. It makes sense because all that air is rushing in with nowhere to go. It must create a lot of turburlance. It might go upward which might make start to push the front end around. Installing inner fenders will also reduce dirt and rocks flying into the compartment. You could install plastic ones in a effort to reduce the weight.

I remember Chuck (from HorsePower)had to fab up some pieces even though the cage of the SuperNova attaches to the frame.

With our huge hoods 5'10 in length I have heard it to be problem with the front end getting darty...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FATRAT
if you are interested in top speeds.. do NOT remove the inner fenders...

i think it was when they built project super nova on horsepower

they talked with some pro. race car builder and he poitned out the inner wheel wells are nescearry to keep the air out of the engine bay.. i believe they were having problems with the turbulance screwing with the carb.. but it's been a while.

your exactly right i watched that episode