1970 steering column color

5 hours ago, Canuck said:

I believe the steering wheel and column was black for the 1970 SS but there are a few rare exceptions.

I'm trying to figure out why this is.

Chevelles had different specs for the interior of an SS car buy the Monte Carlo did not.

Maybe some assembly line workers used a black column on an SS Monte out of habit because they were accustomed to doing it to SS Chevelles.

Paul, I remember this being discussed awhile back, I don't recall a definitive answer. My column is green like the interior but I can't verify thats how it rolled off the line.

(edited) In my 1970 sales album it shows a picture of a green column with a green interior on one page and a black column with a black interior on a different page.

Someone has a loaded 70 SS they are thinking of selling.  It even has wiper control on the signal.switch

It has a color matched column.

I believe that is my 70 with the green interior. Its a 350 300 HP

FB_IMG_1607919430712.jpg

To those with a '70 SS and a non-black column and steering wheel, what plant was your car assembled in? 

I have twelve '70 SS build sheet photos on my phone. All have black columns, but only 3 have black interior. 

I know not all had black columns, but I wonder if it's a plant specific thing. Obviously, the build sheets aren't from Flint cars. 

Dan 

Hey Overdrive,

Heres a pic of my build sheet to add to your collection. Hopefully it will help serve as a reference/validation, etc. in the event it’s ever needed. I guess this will make #13 1970 SS’s with black columns, 4 with black interior. No G80 option 😞.  My longtime Mechanic who just retired had a ‘71 SS, also out of Van Nuys and originally sold in Arizona without posi.  Did Chevy not include them thinking they weren’t necessary in states that never see snow? Did original owners decline this option for whatever reason?  Who knows...

From looks of it, I’m guessing it may have come off the gas tank (no discoloring consistent with seat springs on it). I am going to pull the back seat the first time I take her out of the bubble come spring time to see if I can’t locate another one. Highly unlikely but ya never know. I’ll keep you guys posted. 

I also threw you a picture of the Protect-O-Plate for your collection. 

AE599102-6876-4644-A080-8B9CF7A44671.png

CFD2ED01-44C0-4FD2-B067-6332524667A5.png

52689529-610F-4F45-9948-04C297287D5F.png

12 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Paul, my car has a non tilt option and it's green matching the interior. I believe it was discussed before and all tilt columns were black.

What assembly plant? 

Dan

No problem Dan, glad to contribute what I can. It’s cool to see that there’s people who take interest in collecting and cataloging documentation to preserve the provenance of these beauties.  I can’t tell you how many horror stories I’ve heard of people buying complete duds based on BS descriptions and strategically taken photos.  

And it looks like I may have answered my own question regarding the G80 option not being checked when my Monte was built. Closer investigation of the build sheet revealed the following (see attached pic). Can anyone opine that this likely means that the original purchaser ordered the car without posi?  Also, code GW4 on the build sheet denotes a ratio of 2.56. But I’ve also seen literature that shows GW4 as 3.31. Anyone have clarification?

BF53F82E-E379-4694-9D22-1148F316F611.jpeg

Hi Glen, all 1970 SS came with 256 Limited slip positraction. in 1971 it was changed to 3:31 gears and also limited slip positraction   oh and yes your car was Ordered by a Customer rather than stock that sat on the lot waiting to be bought with the options it happens to have rather than checked off by the purchaser. although you could add options later but would be Dealer Installed and not show up on the Born Build Sheet

Darren

Thanks Darren, that makes sense the more I look at the build sheet and compare it to other literature I’ve read. I knew I came to the right place with questions. I can only imagine the conversation between husband and wife when they sat down at the dealership to order this car new:

Greasy Salesman:  “Ya know, holeshots are boss with a Posi”.

Husband:  “Honey, I’d really like the Posi... it’s only an extra 40 bucks”. 

Wife:  “You promised that you’d stop at that $420 SS-Minow... whatever it’s called option. You know Janie needs braces, so NO. No more ridiculous options”.

Husband:  “The stock two fifty six limited slip will be more than enough”.

😂😂😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LS5 said:

... all 1970 SS came with 256 Limited slip positraction ...

Darren,

You know I have the highest regard for your knowledge of first gen Montes, but your recent statement is not consistent with the information our website has long published in the Technical Information section regarding the Z20 SS454 option.  It lists RPO G80 Positraction as #4 under the heading "An SS MAY Have:" which I assume means it was a selectable option on a vehicle also with the Z20 option.  I think that is exactly what we are seeing on Glen's Build Sheet.  My (former) '70 SS had the G80 option so I would not have known otherwise.

Or, maybe I am misunderstanding your statement above?

P6010037.JPG

The open differential, aka "one wheel peel" was standard on all Monte Carlo models. The "posi" G80 was an option on all Monte Carlo models. 

Like stated though, the 2.56 rear ratio in 70 was the only ratio. In 71 the 3.31 was offered. Both years could be ordered with the optional posi. Otherwise it would have the standard open differential. 

2 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

The open differential, aka "one wheel peel" was standard on all Monte Carlo models. The "posi" G80 was an option on all Monte Carlo models. 

Ha!  Haven’t heard that one.  We always called it the “one tire fire”.

3 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Now I know why things are so hard to find on the forum. Great knowledge here but who’s going to look for differential info under “ steering column color”

Most topics have been discussed many times over in their respective areas, but you are right. Lol And for the record, my 70 SS has a black column but has a black interior. My brother's blue 71 SS has a black column with a blue interior but the question was about 70 SS's. 

• Like 1