Washer Hose Routing

TheBMan

Hello! I hope this is in the right category. Trying to understand the windshield washer hose routing for my 72 Monte Carlo. As you can see in the photos, my washer hoses currently hang free. Apparently there are clips that secure the hose to the lip of the cowl, and I have ordered those, but I'm starting to think that isn't correct for this car.

I've seen photos where the hoses run through the two holes in the cowl and then through a hole in the firewall just above the wiper motor/washer pump assembly. I like this solution but as you can see in the photos, the firewall hole has been sealed up with some sort of filler on my car. It appears to be factory filler but I really can't say for sure.

Can anyone confirm the proper hose routing for a 72 MC? Are the hoses clipped to the cowl or do they run through the cowl and firewall? I want it to be correct. Thank you!!

wiperhose1.jpg

wiperhose2.jpg

wiperhose3.jpg

wiperhose4.jpg

1970 was different and ran through the holes. My 71 looks just like your bottom picture. I have a picture of a 70 to show you how it was and a picture of my 1971. Bruce

IMG_0807.JPG

wswasherhose.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stangeba said:

1970 was different and ran through the holes. My 71 looks just like your bottom picture. I have a picture of a 70 to show you how it was and a picture of my 1971. Bruce

IMG_0807.JPG

wswasherhose.jpg

Very interesting! So mine is correct as it is (once I get the cowl clips). I wonder why they abandoned the earlier 70 style routing? Probably a cost move. I really appreciate your pics and response!

Most 1970 hoods will have the sprayers at the rear edge of the hood which is why they were routed through the holes in the cowl that year. The 71/72 hood has the sprayers a little further forward spraying through the vent area of the hood and therefore they don’t get routed through the cowl.

• Like 3

1970:

Note for 1970 there is one clip holding the driver’s side hose to the cowl.

662C816A-84A8-4331-8B47-2C656641D842.jpeg
930DB83B-4AA2-4452-A02E-331D413B19EC.jpeg

1971/72:

Note for 71/72 there is one clip holding the passenger side hose to the firewall.

06DA8B5F-42ED-46BC-8F0D-D741CE8310C7.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

Very interesting! So mine is correct as it is (once I get the cowl clips). I wonder why they abandoned the earlier 70 style routing? Probably a cost move. I really appreciate your pics and response!

For 71/72 there is just one clip for the passenger side hose. The driver’s side hose does not get clipped to the firewall. See the photo I posted above.

• Like 1

guys, I noticed the rear hood seal on the various year cars, is the gasket a v groove seal that attaches to the hood with clips ,facing the front of the car ,thanks roger

3 hours ago, rsorg said:

guys, I noticed the rear hood seal on the various year cars, is the gasket a v groove seal that attaches to the hood with clips ,facing the front of the car ,thanks roger

Yes it is a V shaped seal. The open part of the V faces the front as you can see in the photos posted above.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The second photo that Bruce posted above has the hoses routed wrong, because the hoses will pass under the seal and get mashed when the hood closes. Like Aaron said, the nozzles should be further back, above the rear hood seal, for the '70 hose routing. 

Dan

11 hours ago, overdrive said:

The second photo that Bruce posted above has the hoses routed wrong, because the hoses will pass under the seal and get mashed when the hood closes. Like Aaron said, the nozzles should be further back, above the rear hood seal, for the '70 hose routing. 

Dan

Dan, Good eye!  I think you are correct. I took this picture at a car show years ago when I noticed it was different than my 71. I never looked at it closely or saw it again. I try to remember after 50 years, a lot can change and many times it was changed incorrectly by someone.

• Like 1