Steering column with tilt

Hello everyone, first time posting on this Forum and I would like to know if anyone has come across this problem. I have a 70 Monte Carlo and I'm rebuilding the steering column. It has a stripped rack and gear sector that I am having a very tough time finding. I am also in need of two sets of bearings in order to put it back together. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get finding these pieces from much more knowledgable people regarding this year Monte. It does have a tilt steering column. Thanks.

20201214_174209.jpg

20201214_174303.jpg

20201214_174400.jpg

This place has the 'Closed' design, like the picture you have. Not cheap...  It also looks like they show you how to modify them if you were going the other way. You'll have to decide what parts match your application though. The middle link has a lot of parts & they also show a lot of instructions too. Seems like a decent site.

https://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/gm-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-oldsmobile-pontiac/rack01x-rack-actuator-gear.php

https://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/gm-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-oldsmobile-pontiac/telescopic-parts.php

https://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/gm-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-oldsmobile-pontiac/images/Rack01Mod.pdf

Also, welcome to the FGMCC, you'll find a LOT of info here and very helpful people.

• 3 weeks later...

You don't say if it is column shift or floor shift.  I have not had to deal with one of those since a long time ago but I recall there was a difference if you had a column shift or floor shift tilt column.

I recently bought a steering column (tilt / floor shift) from "somewhere" that had actually come from a place called Gary's Classics in Athens, Texas.  (I could have saved $100 if I had known about Gary's BEFORE I bought the column from reseller...whatever)

I had some questions about the column I bought and talked with Dave at Gary's.  One of things I asked him about was that "ignition switch rack" as my manual calls it.  He said there are 4 types.  I would give them a call.  They seem to do tons of columns so my guess is if anyone knows where to find one or has one, they will.  He was very helpful and answered all my questions without making me feel like an idiot.

Back when I had my first 72 Monte in the early 80's my ignition rack broke.  I called every GM dealership, parts store, and junkyard west of the Twin Cities.  I searched the internet for countless hou...oh wait, 1983...never mind.  Everyone had the tilt / column shift but tilt / floor shift racks were like trying to find Platinum plated Beryllium hen's teeth.  Out of just "what the heck, can't hurt to ask" I stopped at a small body shop on the side of the freeway I must have driven past 40,000+ times in my life.  Ended up getting an entire tilt / floor shift column for $25.