steering column conversion

Regmon

Hello everyone. I have a question on my steering column, I changed mine from column shift to floor shift. and was looking for a replacement sleeve without the shift handle piece to replace my existing sleeve and make it look like a original floor shift column. I seen some videos where the piece is removed by cutting it off and doing some patch work to fill in the area. but before i dive into something like that i was checking to see if there was a replacement out there that would work, or if anybody has another solution without changing out the complete column. thanks for reading my post. any advise is appreciated.  

Hi Reginald.

They make what you are looking for for a tilt column but not that I have seen for a non tilt.  

You either have to cut it off and fill it like you stated or find another floor shift column. Any gm a-body column will fit from 69-72. Minor differences/ design in turn signal levers and hazzard buttons. I would also swap over your lower ignition switch and turn signal switch. 

I also have a non tilt column I removed from my 72 to change a tilt. We could meet half way somewhere and I would give it to you. I am about 60 miles west of Greenville Ohio

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Leghome said:

I also have a non tilt column I removed from my 72 to change a tilt. We could meet half way somewhere and I would give it to you. I am about 60 miles west of Greenville Ohio

Awesome gesture!!

Hi Reginald.

Nothing to add about the topic. I just thought it was a small world because my older brother lived in Parma on Gilbert St (and one other street) for about 30 years. I can't find a picture he took of my 71 Monte back in 1972. He had a Red 63 Triumph TR-3B and a Black 1937 Dodge P/U.

Bruce Stange 

Reginald, thank you!

No I grew up in Utica, Michigan and still live very close to Utica. I ordered and purchased my 71 Monte Carlo at Bill Fox Chevrolet in Rochester, Michigan and they are still in business. As a mater of fact, I picked up my newest car, a 2020 Impala from them in March of this year.

Take care,

Bruce

ANOTHER QUESTION..IF I CHANGE THE COLUMN TO A FLOOR SHIFT COLUMN, THEN I WOULD HAVE TO CHANGE THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH & BACK UP LIGHTS AND EVERY THING ELSE TO THE FLOOR SHIFT SET UP CORRECT?  RIGHT NOW I AM  STILL USING THE  COLUMN SHIFT COLUMN AND DIDN'T NEED TO CHANGE ANY OF THE WIRING FOR THAT.. WOULD BE BETTER TO JUST CUT OFF THE BOSS OR TRY TO GET A NON-TILT FLOOR SHIFT BOWL AND TRY TO MAKE IT WORK WITH MY EXISTING COLUMN..WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT THAT? 

Just add the neutral safety switch to the tilt column. Just make sure you hook up the back drive so the column you install turns just like it would if it was column shifted. 

The only thing that is different from column shifted and floor shifted column is the "bowl" on the column. Otherwise they are all the same. 

If you really wanted to, you could even leave the column shifted speedo indicator there and have that work also in conjunction with the floor shift. Just saying. 

• Like 1

If you really wanted to, you could even leave the column shifted speedo indicator there and have that work also in conjunction with the floor shift   That is what I wanted to do with mine but I forgot about the cable attachment when removing the non tilt column until I seen it snap. A few choice words were spoken at that time that are not repeatable here. Now with my Dakota Digital Dash it does not matter.

14 hours ago, Leghome said:

If you really wanted to, you could even leave the column shifted speedo indicator there and have that work also in conjunction with the floor shift   That is what I wanted to do with mine but I forgot about the cable attachment when removing the non tilt column until I seen it snap. A few choice words were spoken at that time that are not repeatable here. Now with my Dakota Digital Dash it does not matter.

I just finished the idiot light to gauge conversion and eliminate that part. So what you saying is if i have a floor shift column and attatch the the back drive the bowl would move just like the bowl on a 20201127_155852.thumb.jpg.1764dea3df9e013263c16d64569d4f07.jpgcolumn shift column..?