Oil Fouled Spark Plugs On Only Rear 4 CylindersSBC

Bones, haven't checked the PCV yet...like I said a buddie of mine is the one who took the cam out...I'm still in Michigan and the car is in Maryland. What should I look for? Interesting point Allan...I'm using ARP intake bolts and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I know several of the intake bolts go directly into the galley though, right? I would think the end ones would be the bolt holes with bottoms and if those were bottomed out I would think I would leak coolant first. I'll have to look into this though. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Well I ended up needing a small base circle cam so I didn't finish my roller cam swap. HOWEVER, I did find some things out regarding this issue.

My oil drainback holes are lined up properly with the head gasket and the block.

As I said, the intake gaskets WERE soaked in oil and the intake bolts always came loose. When I bolt the intake down, I'm planning on using a thin film of silicone on the intake gaskets and using blue Lock-tite on the bolts. The picture of the gaskets below have been wiped off.

IMG_1014.jpg

Below is a picture of the fitment of my intake on my heads. I made a mistake though and didn't use the intake gaskets as Buzzard (Chuck) suggested. I could only fit about a .008-.010'' feeler gauge at the ends, which I'm sure the gasket is good to take care of and I'll be using Fel-Pro's intake gasket MADE for aluminum intakes instead of the stockers.

IMG_1017-1.jpgIMG_1020-1.jpg

The intake ports looked mostly dry...except for the one below

CopyofIMG_1001.jpg

The intake runners in the heads

CopyofIMG_1005.jpgCopyofIMG_1007.jpgIMG_1008.jpg

As you can see, my intake valves were pretty wet with oil, which could also be valve seals. In the middle picture, it looks like the oil started coming in at the middle of the runner...

I noticed a few of the ports, there was signs of oil around where the rocker studs pertrude. I pulled some rocker studs and it looked that the ARP thread sealer I used three years ago was barely there on some studs.

CopyofIMG_0999.jpg

I pulled ALL the rocker studs and applied thread sealer TAPE.

On the intake, around the exhaust crossover, it looked a little wet with oil

CopyofIMG_1002.jpg

I don't have a straightedge, but I used an old pushrod to check for intake flatness and I couldn't see any light under neath when I rolled it across the gasket surface. I don't think the front and rear intake bolts are bottoming out because I would think it would leak coolant. I guess I can put it back together with a few improvements mentioned and see if it's still using oil...if so then maybe I need to replace 3 year old valve seals...unfortuantely.

Thought these pictures might be a little help and may answer some questions for people. Any more help/advice/ideas are still appreciated! Thanks again