Chrome (stainless) polishing

The clouding is more than likely the aging of the anodizing coating.  That may have to be removed first before you can polish it bad then it would need to be re-anodized.

rob

Just for thoughts, the price of re anodizing the rocker moulding is probably expensive. What about NOS mouldings or even aftermarket rocker mouldings that even come with the mounting hardware? 

3 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Just for thoughts, the price of re anodizing the rocker moulding is probably expensive. What about NOS mouldings or even aftermarket rocker mouldings that even come with the mounting hardware? 

Thinking about it💵💵💵💵💵💵💵

I got the complete set from the Parts Place. Actually not too bad. A little thinner maybe than the OEM, but respectable quality. A little trimming here and there, but not bad at all. I would do it again if needed.

I did use NOS wheel trim molding on all 4 corners though. 

I got the 10 piece set aftermarket and wasn't to bad at all maybe a little thinner but fit well. The aftermarket rocker molding was terrible, to thin and dented fairly easily when installing.  I still have original so I'm going to clean it up and polish it hopefully comes out better than the aftermarket ones.

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

I got the complete set from the Parts Place. Actually not too bad. A little thinner maybe than the OEM, but respectable quality. A little trimming here and there, but not bad at all. I would do it again if needed.

I did use NOS wheel trim molding on all 4 corners though. 

I’ve got brand new nos wheel trim molding

If you buy the aftermarket lower rocker trim. Don't use the clips/fasteners that come with the trim.  The clips are to hard and the trim is not as thick as original and your will ruin the trim to push them in. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bigtankjones said:

If you buy the aftermarket lower rocker trim. Don't use the clips/fasteners that come with the trim.  The clips are to hard and the trim is not as thick as original and your will ruin the trim to push them in. 

I took that advice from people here & used the Auveco 8400 plastic clips. Fit great, install easy & didn't dent the trim.

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

I took that advice from people here & used the Auveco 8400 plastic clips. Fit great, install easy & didn't dent the trim.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the rocker trim is not bright polished like the rest of the molding. Isn’t it like dull aluminum?

5 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but the rocker trim is not bright polished like the rest of the molding. Isn’t it like dull aluminum?

It's fairly bright, anodized.

15 hours ago, jft69z said:

Yep. Those are the plastic clips i found that work from Clips & Fasteners. I found these and shared with the group back in 2015/2016. They are the closest thing to the original metal ones.  They like to rotate over time and the trim pops off. I used 3M tape and stuck it on the backside of the trim to keep the plastic clip from moving around. Just trying to help. 

1 hour ago, bigtankjones said:

They like to rotate over time and the trim pops off. I used 3M tape and stuck it on the backside of the trim to keep the plastic clip from moving around. 

If you bend that little 'kick stand' around properly, it'll keep the clip in place and keep it from rotating. When I get out to the shop later, I'll take a pic of the clip and use my old rocker trim as an example.

20201227_124651.jpg

20201227_124835.jpg

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

If you bend that little 'kick stand' around properly, it'll keep the clip in place and keep it from rotating. When I get out to the shop later, I'll take a pic of the clip and use my old rocker trim as an example.

20201227_124651.jpg

20201227_124835.jpg

Yes I know that.  In time they will pop off if you don't stick something on the back side to keep them from turning. They are plastic not metal. I had the issue and that's what I came up with. Maybe my issue was from the aftermarket trim being thin. 😊

It's physically impossible that they'll turn if installed with that tail properly. Mine are on aftermarket trim & fit perfect with no chance of rotating.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, 70Meangreen said:

Can anyone recommend someone they have used for anodizing their original pieces?

I just sent my 3 rear trim pieces from the '72 to this place on a forum members recommendation and personal experience. So far I'm impressed with the customer service and communication with Norm, the owner. Won't know until my parts get done, but so far I'm not worried.

http://www.shineonmetrim.com/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 70Meangreen said:

Thank you for the recommendation! Just curious about the price he quoted you?

He just got the parts a couple of days ago, didn't send an actual quote yet. It'll probably be around $500+ from the phone conversation prior. He has a quasi price list somewhere on there from prior jobs to get a rough guess what things may cost. Obviously, the parts present condition will make a huge difference in the pricing. He'll do an evaluation and get with you, if you don't like the price, he'll ship them back I guess.