Engine died on road

71MonteCarloMD

It’s not my Monte Carlo as it’s my sons 1972 GMC C15 as I took it for a drive today.  I was changing lanes and used signaler, all of sudden engine died on me.  Then it won’t crank as it battery is holding 12.6 and I checked for lights and it didn’t turn on so I’m not getting power at all.

From reading 67-72 truck forums, most of them said to check fuses and fuse linkage then trace any bad cables or wires.

I’m wondering if you guys have any idea why engine died on me while driving?

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Does that have the ceramic resistor on the firewall. 

I’m not sure as I will check, if it does what should I look for?

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

NO power at all anywhere ? Yes I'd check fuses and go from there. 

If turn signal and and turning vehicle killed truck possible short in switch/column harness first guesstimate. 

No power anywhere except the battery.  We didn’t have issue since we got in August as we will look into it.  Any idea how we can troubleshoot?

2 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

I’m not sure as I will check, if it does what should I look for?

No power anywhere except the battery.  We didn’t have issue since we got in August as we will look into it.  Any idea how we can troubleshoot?

Something of this nature. You may not see the spring. Depends how it’s mounted 

21DE495D-273F-446A-A8DF-9416AC125F06.png

In reading this, my first thought was the battery cable is loose, perhaps the ground (-) cable that may fasten to the ft of the engine or head.

Is the battery fastened down or can it flop all over (loose) pulling the cable out?

Mtr mount is broken and the engine lifts up again pulling on wires or battery cables?? 

Good luck!

Update: tested the wire from junction box mounted on fender which is next to the battery which passed the test, replaced the tape with shrink wraps.  Found one blown 3A fuse in the fuse box, replaced it and it started up fine.

Next is to find out why the fuse got blown.

I am going to get back up 3A fuses in case it dies again on road and I found two different types, fast or slow blow fuses, can anyone tell me which one I should get?

0BBB80D2-5795-431D-B8BE-C3ED3AD76909.jpeg

Edited by 71MonteCarloMD

A slow blow fuse is used for things that draw a large amount of amperage on a start up.  Things like motors draw more current when they first start up than they do during normal running.  Sometimes these items use a slow-blow fuse.  Something like lights, relay's, solenoid's and things like that do not need a slow blow fuse.  Hopefully this helps.

rob