Locked Trunk, no key

49 minutes ago, jcakes said:

I can't find my trunk key for the life of me and am wondering if there's any tricks to try before drilling it out?  

I have a fear of that too, I have an extra set of keys for mine and a couple extra trunk keys. I keep one in the car at all times just in case I'm not at the car and my brother or buddy's need to get to the cooler in the trunk.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rancid87 said:

I'd just drill it out and install a new cylinder. At leastyou will have the key!

Either way he'll need a new cylinder (or have a locksmith make a key so it also matches the doors). Might be easier to get it out from the back side if he gets the trunk open though & less chances for the drill to run away and possibly damage something else. Just a thought...

4 hours ago, 714024SPEED said:

Take out the back seat and open it from the inside. 

No dice.  Seat removal was a breeze, but the trunk is filled with crap.  I think I can see where the tumbler is, but wouldn't even know what to do if I did in fact find it.  Is there a spot I need to reach with a few extensions?  Then what?    

I did, however, find a build sheet and paperwork from the original owner/purchase.  The build sheet is toast though...dry-rotted and stuck in a place where I can't pull on it without making it worse.  L65 350, A/C, 2.65 rear end is what I can make out.  Is it possible to obtain a new copy of these anywhere?  Where else do the build sheets hide?    

41 minutes ago, jcakes said:

I think I can see where the tumbler is, but wouldn't even know what to do if I did in fact find it.  Is there a spot I need to reach with a few extensions?  Then what?    

You'll have to remove the 3 bolts that hold the latch to the trunk lid, then it should let you open the trunk. It won't turn from the inside because the lock cylinder is still doing its job to prevent opening without a key.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Don’t it have a pull strap for safety reasons?  Sorry had to 

LOL, that's how so many people got transported to the desert years ago...to fill a hole.

• Like 1

Should only be 2 keys, one for the doors/trunk/glove box and one for the ignition. Someone changed your trunk cylinder in the past.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Should only be 2 keys, one for the doors/trunk/glove box and one for the ignition. Someone changed your trunk cylinder in the past.

Ok thanks, my doors match my ignition so I will just recode the trunk to match and just have one key.

Alright gentleman we have a conflicting conversation going here. 2 keys agreed. What they operate is different. So what is it?  ( I’m asking because I’m hoping I didn’t buy the wrong setup) inc counsel too if you don’t mind. See I’m smiling 😃

I just went outside and it appears my ignition key also fits the doors on a '72. The round key fits the trunk, glove box and console. Maybe I was thinking of one of my other GM cars in the past where the round key fit the doors/trunk. Sorry if it caused any confusion.

EDIT: Just looked it up, appears that up to 1974 the square (primary) key operated the ignition/doors and the secondary (round) did the rest. After that they changed to the primary key used for ignition. I used to have a '76 Malibu Classic and a '77 Monte that used the round keys for doors, which fits in with the info below.

Just about anything you wanted to learn about keys here:

http://www.camaros.org/keysandlocks.shtml

http://www.carlocksandkeys.com/blog/all-about-gm-general-motors-lettered-square-and-round-key-blanks/

4 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I just went outside and it appears my ignition key also fits the doors on a '72. The round key fits the trunk, glove box and console. Maybe I was thinking of one of my other GM cars in the past where the round key fit the doors/trunk. Sorry if it caused any confusion.

I was more curious just to make sure my keys and cylinders are correct. Thanks again 

1 hour ago, SandSpyder said:

Ok thanks, my doors match my ignition so I will just recode the trunk to match and just have one key.

It's possible that someone re-keyed the car in the past. While searching for the key info listed in the above post, OPGI popped up with a set of locks that mention they have the 'later style round key' for the doors.

My round key fits doors and trunk, never tried the square key in anything else.  I've never tried to lock glove box so that I dont know. Maybe if I do go start it tomorrow I'll see. I always try to start it on new years day to let it warm upa bit. Usually back it out in driveway too weather permitting. 

45 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

My round key fits doors and trunk, never tried the square key in anything else.  I've never tried to lock glove box so that I dont know. Maybe if I do go start it tomorrow I'll see. I always try to start it on new years day to let it warm upa bit. Usually back it out in driveway too weather permitting. 

You only start it on New Years Day. What do you do with the rest of the year?

7 minutes ago, Dtret said:

You only start it on New Years Day. What do you do with the rest of the year?

That's usually the only day of the winter at least until march or April depending on if our winter ever ends. Last year we still had snow in may. Last year was a light winter for us just a little under 100 inches of snow for the season,  we usually average about 125 or so. It's been in the garage for about 2 months now.