Locked Trunk, no key

7 minutes ago, Traveler said:

round opens trunk passenger door and glove box, Rob Peters says square = doors so maybe some changes ignition lock or....

Looks like you may have multiple issues going on there? Should only be one square key no matter what, so either driver door or the ignition cylinders have been changed. By some accounts, the passenger side should be a square key too, but some guys have a round key open their doors. According to the links I found earlier, up to 74 it was square for ignition and doors, round for trunk/glove box. 

Now the mystery is regarding the round passenger key. Was your driver side a round key originally, and replaced with a square key cylinder because it was bad? If you should have had square keys for door/ignition originally like the documentation says, why does the passenger key match the trunk/glove box, mystery.

Sort of like a Chinese puzzle here, lol

When I redid my 72 in 2013 I bought a new set of locksets for the doors and trunk to match. It may not be correct but that is the way I like it., Square for the ignition and round for the trunk and doors.  At least they all work Which is great but I rarely use them because of the Keyless entry system that was available around the time I redid Ole Red. 

I looked at all my cars today for this dilemma, and i am sad to say i can't figure it out. Every car has a different set of keys. Most have 3 keys, some have 1 with no trunk tumbler. The only one that has 2 keys is my Custom and the square key is for ign and the round is for every thing else. 

Hope this helps

On 1/10/2021 at 9:29 AM, Rob Peters said:

On a 1970 Monte the round key opens the trunk and locks and unlocks the glove box and the square key works in the door locks and ignition.  Another one of those things that make the 70 special.

rob

Thanks Rob, that is what I was hoping for since that is exactly how mine operates. I did not know or even expect there was difference between the first gen years themselves or I would have been more specific when I asked the question. Between your info and info from links supplied... "The "primary" locksets included the ignition lock/key and any other locks that used the same key(such as the door...). The "secondary" lockset contained all the remaining locks and keys (such as trunk and glovebox)."   I'm happy to learn it is still as it was new. Thanks for all of your guy's input.

It is really fun/interesting to learn all the little things that were different from year to year or even changed mid year(and some differences from plant to plant!) back in the day especially because in my day to day work I see the exact same models go for many many years with not as much as a plastic grille change up!(boring and sad)