Monte front bumper guards

• 4 weeks later...

The rear bumper guards are 70-72  Monte Carlo specific. Where as the front guards were also available on the 70 Chevelles and El Caminos. The 71-72 Chevelle and El Camino front guards are different. Cannot be used on the Monte Carlo. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 4:59 PM, Grant MacPherson said:

looking for a rear set. ones on ebay are a lot higher than the front.

I have rears need rechromed or some driver quality 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 10:30 PM, Jared Richey said:

I have rears need rechromed or some driver quality 

I got front and rear cores from Jared several years ago.  After stripping the old rubber bumpers off, I sent them to Tri-City Plating in Elizabethton, Tennessee to be re-chromed.  Back then, it cost $75 each plus some shipping but it may be more now. 

They did a wonderful job and after mounting new rubber bumpers from the Parts Place, Inc, I installed them on my '70.   Love the look of first gens with bumper guards!

448.JPG

P4015207.JPG

P4015209.JPG

P4025256.JPG

P4025269.JPG

Jared sent me a set of rears, still waiting for them to arrive and off to be rechromed. They said $75.00 each canadian so price seems fair. I agree I do like the way they look and mine was only built with front which seems odd.

7 hours ago, Grant MacPherson said:

it is a 70, build sheet shows ordered with only front guards

It was the same with my '70 SS.  Front and rear guards were separate Chevy RPOs, V31 and V32, respectively, from '64 to at least '70.

I was able to find a set of NOS rear guards on eBay several years ago and installed them on that SS as well.

P6010038.JPG

Dennis. What do you think about Florida not offering a Antique plate with your own combination of letters and numbers. It was called a vanity plate when i lived in Connecticut.

4 hours ago, MC-71 said:

Dennis. What do you think about Florida not offering a Antique plate with your own combination of letters and numbers. It was called a vanity plate when i lived in Connecticut.

Yes, Carl, if you want an Antique plate, Florida assigns the numbers/letters but the registration is super cheap ($7.50 per year).  However, If you really want a "vanity" plate (aka "personalized" plate) on your antique car, you can choose from a huge selection styles and backgrounds with 5 to 7 characters you specify.  Of course, you will pay a hefty registration fee ($51 - 81) every year to have it.

The simple solution is to put an antique tag on the back and get your vanity plate from eBay ($10-25) for the front since Florida doesn't care what you put up there.  Even Amazon sells official looking state vanity plates: https://www.amazon.com/State-Custom-Metal-License-Plate/dp/B01K3213SW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&hvadid=78202818919840&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=florida+vanity+license+plate&qid=1615056107&sr=8-3

We had antique vanity plates in Kansas, also, and I had one on my '70 SS when I lived in Wichita.  Registration was also pricey and I quickly found that all of the "best" letter/number combinations were already taken.  I settled for "MC454SS" as shown below.

Minnesota has a similar deal to Florida that they call a "collector" tag with a low registration fee and state-assigned numbers.  You can display your own "vanity plate" up front there also.

P7210709.JPG

P9273800.JPG

Thanks Dennis. I know about the cost in Florida. I have this vanity plate in FL. It’s NMAD-56 on my 2015 Camaro. Had that combination since 1969 in CT. So when I moved to FL. I found it was available so I got it. My 71 Monte has CT registration as MC-71. Maybe I can leave that on the front and get that FL antique plate for the back. I can save some money. Thanks for the info.