Possible purchase this weekend

Skifoggy

25 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Do you have any pictures?? Color? Options? What are they asking??

No pics yet. I've known the owner for many years and as he is getting up in age, he decided to sell. Black on black and the body and paint are perfect. Engine and trans were freshened up about 8 years ago. Car has been inside and covered for the last 5 years. I am going to see and drive the car on Sunday. Pretty sure I will be completing the transaction next week. Since I am a family friend, I was told $25k for me. I've been looking for some older Chevy muscle for quite a while now and though its not quite what I was looking for, I don't think I can pass this one up. 

Pretty much what's been said, without pictures or options its hard to give a fair price guestimate. Also what do you mean by the engine being freshened up ? 

That being said, the Hagerty valuation tool says "good" condition at 22K and excellent at 34K. I always say its only worth what YOU are willing to pay for it. If its a true SS and you like it for the price I don't think you can go wrong. Good Luck, keep us posted 

If its as you described and a true SS. My opinion definatly worth the 25 g's, Thats a good deal.  True SS hard to find, and cars  expensive to restore. Paperwork always a plus 🙂 

Good luck and post a lot of pictures when you get her !!!!

Congrats,  send some pictures!.

My friend bought a 71 SS new, after he saw my 71 (non-SS). Nice car!!!!

Sadly it got T-Boned years ago.

Why wait till Sunday, if it is a true SS and in excellent condition you should close the deal today.  Tell us about options, buckets or bench seats, column shift or floor shift gauges or idiot lights, power windows, power door locks, AC, Am FM 8-track radio etc, etc and what is the mileage

rob

Luckily the seller doesn't need the money and is in no hurry to sell. I wanted to see it one evening this week but Sunday worked best for him. Must have patience weed hopper! I've been looking for quite a while so a few more days wont hurt. I am liking the feedback from this group already and starting to get fired up. Thanks!!!

• Like 1

You won't find a better group of people here to ask for help, or be right there cheering you on when you get the new car. The amount of knowledge and willingness to help here is limitless and genuine. Good luck and welcome!

• Like 2

Not in a hurry to sell this car.... I very recently heard this on my Dream Car.  I was contacted by the widow of a friend of mine who told me my friend had passed away and was looking to sell his 4 cars, one of them being my dream car, a factory 402 4-speed, a car he had always told me he did not want to sell to anyone else but me when the time comes to sell.  She told me her interest was in selling two of the antique cars before selling the 402 4-speed Monte and a 4 speed Trans-Am.

I was trying to help her sell the 3 Speed floor shift Malibu convertible, 4-speedTrans-Am and a 4-speed El-Camino.  I was trying to give her time until she was ready to sell.  I contacted her to let her know I wanted to move on buying the 71 402 4-speed Monte when she told me that she had sold it but still had the other 3 cars.  I had let her know that my only interest was in buying the Monte and in the end that is the only one I know she sold.  She sold it to a dealer who was told about the car from an appraiser.  

That is why I said go there right away and not wait till Sunday.  I am not saying this is going to happen on this 7 1 454SS but I hope you can understand where I am coming from

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures on your New-Used SS454 

rob

Like my buddy who's gotten a lot of great automobile deals over the years says.." He who hesitates is lost". More than once we've all waited or dragged our heels on something to find it's already been sold or some other sneaky person in the know swooped in and got there before you did....

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

Like my buddy who's gotten a lot of great automobile deals over the years says.." He who hesitates is lost". More than once we've all waited or dragged our heels on something to find it's already been sold or some other sneaky person in the know swooped in and got there before you did....

This also happened to my dad after I bought my Model A Ford.  A guy who lived near us had a Model A Roadster that my dad wanted to buy.  We spoke with the guy frequently to let him know my dad was still interested.  Another "Friend" of mine, that was another member of the Model A Restorers Club where we lived and a guy who helped me a good bit on my Model A a good bit was at my house working with me on my Model A was talking.  I made the mistake of mentioning this Model A to him that my dad was going to buy.  

A few weeks later my dad and I were driving past the house where this Model A Roadster was and we noticed it was not in the garage so we stopped and we asked where the Roadster was and he told us that this "Friend" of mine had stopped by and said that we had told him about the car and that we were no longer interested in buying it.  As it turned out he had been planning to call my dad and tell him he was ready to sell him the car but when this "Friend" had told him we told him about the car and were no longer interested he sold it to him.  

Needless to say, we never spoke to this "Friend" again.

rob

15 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Needless to say, we never spoke to this "Friend" again. rob

Exactly... Some people suck. You can only hope karma caught up with him at some point and kicked him really, really hard.

Jeff,

I am sorry, we seem to have gotten off topic in your post.  Also forgive me for not welcoming you aboard the boards of the FGMCC.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of the club, it really is a great group of people.  Just in case you have not noticed, we do love pictures.

rob

12 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

I am sorry, we seem to have gotten off topic in your post. 

Still sort of on topic to some degree, real world experience about not waiting to pick up his car if possible with bad examples of what can happen. Those are real hard lessons to learn firsthand (as you most recently experienced).