Possible purchase this weekend

Skifoggy

well did you make the deal. I just heard a friend of mine bougt an Indian from a friend. the following week he was going to pick it up. The seller wound up in the hospital and didnt make it. the son sold the bike to someone else. the son had  found the title while his dad was in the hospital. 

Hope you have heard enough wait until later stories to convince you to make your deal. 

Here are some photos taken yesterday. Ran into a little issue when we started to go for a drive and the brake pedal went to the floor. The back of the master cylinder was empty so didn't get to drive it. Seller is wanting to fix the issue before he turns it over to me. Hopefully we can pick it up later this week. 

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

• Like 4

I only have the gentlemans handshake but I am not worried. I have known the owner for a very long time and his son is one of my best ski buddies. If for some reason it doesn't happen, it wasn't meant to be. 

Looks like a very nice car, if the guy wants to get it fixed first I wouldn't worry to much. I never drove mine before I bought it and the guy drove it to my house the day I bought it. I didn't drive it for several days later after I got plates on it and haven't had any problems.  

2 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Looks like a very nice car, if the guy wants to get it fixed first I wouldn't worry to much. I never drove mine before I bought it and the guy drove it to my house the day I bought it. I didn't drive it for several days later after I got plates on it and haven't had any problems.  

Same story with my 70 Monte in 1996. I never drove it until a couple months after I got it when I transferred insurance from my other car.

$ 25,000.... I think the gentleman is family for that price. I have adoption papers in my Monte glove box. Always been looking for a good home.  That's 1 Nice SS ('71 ... cleanest  front end)... Hope everything else is ok with it. You got to tell us the options list. Pictures Please!! post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

Well, after a long wait the Monte Carlo is now in my garage. So happy the deal is finally done. Now I have some questions. If I wanted to make some drive ability mods, would I be committing a cardinal sin by doing so? Headers and a little dressing up of the engine compartment is a thought. Nothing half assed or hill billied.  Also, since the car sat for the last 10 years, the Radial TAs are in need of replacement. I would like to get as much rubber under the rear fender as possible. Should I take this question to the tech area? Anyway, I am so jazzed right now I could probably ramble on for days. Looking forward to hearing from you all. 

• Like 1

Just now, cny first gen 71 said:

Congratulations on your purchase, its your car do what you want to it but save all the old parts just in case you want to go back to original.  Have fun with it.

That is how I feel but I have already caught a little flack just mentioning a couple of things. 

I'll X3 do what you want, its your car enjoy it. And save all the parts you remove. Use the "search" function to do your research (like for headers), a bunch of people have been down that road and have very good advice and experiences. Looking at the one pic of the car tire wise they look kinda close on clearances, what size tires on it now? There is also a couple of threads with tire options, backspace and such 

I’m going to add more. This is just my opinion. The car is fricking awesome. Many of us would love to have that car. The performance mods you mentioned aren’t really going to add a ton to performance or drive ability and may not be worth the cash outlay. Remember it’s a low compression mild horsepower engine unless you go internal it won’t change a bunch. Remember IMO

Laughing, not that i'm going back on my previous post but Dennis makes a good point. That being said, get some new tires and start enjoying the car. Start making a list of what you want to change or upgrade and make a list. And also remember, on these old cars the most simple of mods might end up starting projects you weren't expecting. 

Congratulations!!!!!! Glad the outcome was a positive one! I also agree with others. The car is awesome the way it is. That being said, it's now yours. If you do decide to make any mods, save the original parts.

Good luck and congratulations again!!!

Let me start of by saying I am an "Original" type of owner.  You have a beautiful SS454 there so I would keep it as original as possible.  I would start off with the old tires because that is a safety concern if they are dry-rotted.  One thing to keep in mind is if you are considering going with the BFG's raised white letters again I want to warn you that they are having major issues keeping the white lettering white over the past two to three years because they have been having trouble keeping them from turning yellowish-brown so I if you are planning to go with raised white letters then you may want to go with another brand.  Many people have started to go with the 1/2 to 3/4 inch white-wall lately.

After the tires I would switch to the engine compartment and do a cleaning and detailing of that.  It is amazing how an original engine compartment all cleaned up and detailed will show at a car cruise/show.  

That said, as others have said, it is your car so do with it what you please and if you change anything keep the old parts.  You got that car for a great price.   I would start with what I originally suggested and drive it a little while before doing any major changes.

rob