Exhaust hanger

John S

It appears that hanger is spec'd to work on all 3 years at the muffler location. The tailpipe hangers come in a few different configurations though. One of the guys with a SS will be better equipped to answer that, but it appears the one's from the pics Dennis posted are the same type.

I don’t know if my tailpipe hangers are original because at some point it had regular round chrome tips put on and also one is broke. Let me know if you want pics I’d be happy to dig them out and post

The only thing that may be different is the size of the clamp holes. The original non ss tailpipe is 2 inch I think the ss may be larger I dont remember that.  You may need to open up the holes to fit the larger clamp in the upside down part. That's what I'm planning on doing when I go from my 2 inch system to the 2.5 I will be putting on later on. Think I may stay with glass pack mufflers though. Haven't figured that out yet.

The mounting to the frame is also different. One mounts to the top of the frame, between the trunk floor and frame, another style mounts to the side of the frame, and the SS tip style mounts to the top of the frame but has the tailpipe clamp integrated into it. 

Screenshot_20210116-224707.png

Screenshot_20210116-224633.png

Screenshot_20210116-224551.png

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 4:07 PM, jft69z said:

Great, let us know how it works when you get it!

It worked great got the right part number and it worked there is a difference. First picture is the left second is the right side. Thanks for the help.

John S

E0590A8C-F96F-49CC-996B-F5C69227D2E8.jpeg

064020B3-28DD-4ED5-8B7E-27C4B02AE668.jpeg

36D8F51C-923C-4F9E-90CB-A7EE47B0F61D.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Looks good, what size pipe/clamp do you have there? Did you have to elongate the holes at all?

Not sure about John's system, but in my case with 2 1/2" pipes, I did have to elongate the bracket holes a little with a round file. Took about 5 minutes. (if that was what you were wondering in regards to 2 1/2").

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Looks good, what size pipe/clamp do you have there? Did you have to elongate the holes at all?

I have a 2 1/4 inch clamp there and I did have to elongate the holes a little bit no big deal just use the round file.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, jft69z said:

Not sure about John's system, but in my case with 2 1/2" pipes, I did have to elongate the bracket holes a little with a round file. Took about 5 minutes. (if that was what you were wondering in regards to 2 1/2").

Which tail pipes did you go with Joe? I was looking at the flow master 2 1/2 one piece ones.  I am going to put the chrome tips on the ends straight out the back. I'll probably have the pipes from headers to mufflers built at a local shop.

7 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Which tail pipes did you go with Joe? I was looking at the flow master 2 1/2 one piece ones.  I am going to put the chrome tips on the ends straight out the back. I'll probably have the pipes from headers to mufflers built at a local shop.

I went with the Flowmaster 17107 setup and got the mufflers separate Steve. It gives you the choice of either straight or turned down tailpipes. 2 1/2" all the way from headers to the back, fit was very good too. I would do it again if given the choice. I liked that they had the turned down pipe because I prefer them tucked up there real tight, out of sight. In your case, the straight extensions may work better for you, at least you have options with that kit. I did not use any of the hangers in that kit though, I went with the stock type throughout. I didn't like how low they hung, nor the configuration of them in general, no biggie. I also got the reducing cones from them to go from headers to the pipes. If you need a parts list, let me know. Everything came from Summit, btw.

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/builder_components/direct_fit_pipe_kits/header-back_pipe/parts/17107

The above kit is also available with mufflers, but I went with the above and picked different mufflers (Super 44-Stainless)

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/exhaust_systems/flowmaster/american_thunder/parts/17119

The other option they have is just a straight tailpipe, part number 15802, or 815802 in stainless like you may have already seen. Not sure, but they look like the pipes in my kit, just without the option to change tip configuration. These may work better with the chrome tips, if that's just what you want. If you have to make the entire system anyways, the above kits may be an option though.

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/builder_components/direct_fit_pipe_kits/prebent_tailpipe/parts/15802

hey steve i went with flowmaster system 17119 american thunder. i used the hangers that came with system fits good. laid on my back on garage floor took a weekend. has a choice of turn down or strait pipes no chrome tips had to expand tail pipe extensions to fit tight so no ugly clamps been ok for 4-5 years

• Like 1