Exhaust hanger

John S

47 minutes ago, jft69z said:

You talking about this type, with the 2 rubber straps?

Yes that type the assembly manual I have shows the same picture where are the one strap appears to be mounted at a 45° angle. Mine does not have that 45° cut in the frame where it mounts I would have to make something the one strap would have to be bent back at a 180° angle to work Plus reproduction or hangers made by Walker do not look exactly like that

15 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

It mounts to the frame crossmember, one side to the top and the other to the face or front of it. The hangers look similar but right and left are different.

They may be right and left side specific from the factory OEM type but when you buy walker or any reproduction Hanger they are the same

30 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

It mounts to the frame crossmember, one side to the top and the other to the face or front of it. The hangers look similar but right and left are different.

Exactly what Steve says is correct! The drawing of the hanger is correct too. The one rubber strap hangs straight down and the other bends up to attach to the crossmember. There should be holes already drilled for the hangers too.

I used the Walker hangers this last summer to hang my exhaust. There is a definite Left and Right hanger. Only problem was, they kept sending me the wrong hanger, even though it was in the correctly labeled bag. Someone, somewhere put a lot of the wrong ones in the wrong bag. Looks at them very closely, they should be mirror images of each other. I ended up having to order the correct one from another vendor because all the ones from Summit were wrong.

I'm at work now, but can take pictures for you tonight if you need, no problem at all.

The one I think was bad was the 35871 Walker number, right part number, wrong hanger in the bag. I got it from Amazon eventually and it was correct. Tom (MC1 of 80) says the ones from SS396 work too, but I had already got the Walker ones from Summit initially, so just kept plugging along until they sent a correct one.

I got these from Summit also I’ll take a closer look at them and also look into other vendors and see if they offer a left and right The Walker part number is 35870 and from Summit it does not distinguish between right and left

12 minutes ago, John S said:

I was hoping someone may have a picture of the reproduction hanger mounted because the walker hanger the one strap is too short to go to the top of the crossmember

If you can wait 'til tonight I'll take pics of what's under my car. If you're trying to put the left one on the right side (as an example) it won't work. Just a guess, but that's what might be going on. Do you have single or dual exhaust?

There are 2 definite part numbers...35870 and 35871.

Just now, jft69z said:

If you can wait 'til tonight I'll take pics of what's under my car. If you're trying to put the left one on the right side (as an example) it won't work. Just a guess, but that's what might be going on. Do you have single or dual exhaust?h

Dual exhaust and a picture would help a lot. I have received wrong parts from Summit before and arguing with them is like trying to feed oats to a dead horse.

26 minutes ago, John S said:

Dual exhaust and a picture would help a lot. I have received wrong parts from Summit before and arguing with them is like trying to feed oats to a dead horse.

They were real good with me, they just got a bad batch of mis-packaged hangers. After sending a couple of them out that were wrong, I went thru a different vendor. I'm guessing you may be getting some of the same batch. Is your bag labeled 35871? I bet it's a 35870 hanger in the bag, if you're having the same problem I did. I scrutinized the online pictures real good and saw what the deal was. The people at Summit did the same with me, on the phone and saw exactly what I was talking about, but it's beyond their scope of help if all the stock was bad. (I may have the numbers reversed because I'm at work and poking thru my Summit and Amazon order history.)

35870 may be right side, 35871 is left side. Square peg in a round hole if you try to put them on the wrong side. Not to worry, we'll get it sorted out.

EDIT: I just looked back in my build thread, the left side is the one I was having problems with. In the end, I got that one from RockAuto, part number 35871. Figured maybe they had different stock than Summit, just had to pay more for shipping, but at that point, I didn't care, and it was correct..

You guys are lucky I got this car all apart. Lol. Here you go. 71SS original hangers. First one is passenger side. Second is, well you guessed it, drivers. If you need more let me know  Devil went down to Georgia is on the radio  talk about soul stealing  this car is doing it  haha 😂 

92074097-A01A-4C8D-B27B-9CBBA70D7304.jpeg

E75A4449-E0A3-4849-A9AE-A27325EABD1C.jpeg

That's pretty much how mine are too. I found a pic in my camera roll that shows it, but I enlarged it a bit and cropped it. This is the passenger side. Driver's would be a mirror image. The outboard ones require you to fold the rubber strap at almost a 90 degree bend and attach from the front side, while the inboard ones sort of hang down straight-ish and attach from the rear on the crossmember..

The one you have pictured on your table is the right (passenger) side hanger. If your other hanger is EXACTLY the same, you got boned like I did.

right side.JPG

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

That's pretty much how mine are too. I found a pic in my camera roll that shows it, but I enlarged it a bit and cropped it. This is the passenger side. Driver's would be a mirror image. The outboard ones require you to fold the rubber strap at almost a 90 degree bend and attach from the front side, while the inboard ones sort of hang down straight-ish and attach from the rear on the crossmember..

The one you have pictured on your table is the right (passenger) side hanger. If your other hanger is EXACTLY the same, you got boned like I did.

right side.JPG

I’ll take it back. I’ll give them that other number and see if that’s in their system. There is a summit store only 2 miles from my house the only problem is dealing with these people is they are not parts experts they’re very good with computers but not very knowledgeable on parts. In-line tube does have right and left specific that come in a set if I can’t get anywhere with summit I will go that route again thank you very much for the pictures I do appreciate it

Again thank you very much Joe and Dennis that was very helpful and much appreciated. Amazing how something so simple can get complicated. Seven years ago instead of getting a Gardner exhaust system and putting it on myself I went to a muffler shop near where I live and had them put a system on. They did a great job looks good and was considerably less costly. But they use their own style hangers I believe they are 3/8 Rod mounted in a rubber insulated and they weld it to the muffler pipe. Well those welds broke and left holes in the pipe that I had to repair with a MIG welder. Instead of re-welding the mounts back on I decided to go with an OEM style hanger

John S

What part number hangers do you currently have, and are the ones you have in your possession the exact same physical part?

Just now, jft69z said:

What part number hangers do you currently have, and are the ones you have in your possession the exact same physical part?

I have Two 35870 and they are identical. Summit has a 35871 but for some reason it is 6$ cheaper and not in stock and has to be special ordered. I'll probably go with inline tube. They sell the L & R as a pair and they do look different.

John s

Rock auto lists the 35871 but it also is unavailable at this time. I think it's my fault, I thought they were the same part# for R & L side. and I asked for two 35870's I learned just today from you guys that they are different between R & L side. I learn so much from this site, again thanks.

John S

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John S said:

I have Two 35870 and they are identical. Summit has a 35871 but for some reason it is 6$ cheaper and not in stock and has to be special ordered. I'll probably go with inline tube. They sell the L & R as a pair and they do look different.

John s

That's the problem, 2 of the same won't work. Amazon appears to have one, but it's $17. RockAuto says out of stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-35871-Exhaust-Hanger/dp/B000C8ZAYG

These may be the one's Tom was talking about when I had the problem, pricey though compared to the Walkers.

https://www.ss396.com/monte-carlo/XMH-64A.html

EDIT: I was typing when you added the RockAuto info. FWIW, Inlinetube is one of my last resorts now due to some issues I had with them in the past. 

• Like 1

Those are the ones at Ground Up that came in a kit I purchased with the rear/tailpipe hangers. Ground Up also offers different style tailpipe hangers to suit your needs. 

• Like 1

Just now, John S said:

I ordered the one from Amazon thanks again for the help.

John S

Great, let us know how it works when you get it!