Another possible purchase - advice appreciated

jefro

New Guy Here,

I have a chance at purchasing a 72 Custom, 402/TH400 that was frame off restored/rebuilt in 2000.  15,000 miles since.  It is a bucket seat console car.  Exterior is a 9, interior a 7.  Shows as a very nice car.  What price range would be reasonable for a car like this? 

I look forward to joining the Monte Carlo fraternity you guys have here!

Welcome to the group. Nice sounding car. You will here it a lot here. PICTURES PLEASE. PRETTY PLEASE. pics are the best way for the brain trust of the group( not me by the way) to give you the best advice possible. What part of Ohio?

Welcome to the club forums, Jeff!  Hope you are able to acquire the '72 Custom you described and will become a regular member of our helpful club. 

While we seldom go out on a limb with specific price suggestions, we all have our own opinions based on what we know about the vehicle in question, the current market and our own values.  What matters most is your assessment/opinion based on your interests and values.

I believe it is safe to say that the only version of the '72 Monte that is more rare and desirable than a "U code" (402) Custom would be a "W code" (454) Custom.  According to the 1972 U.S. Production numbers in our Tech Info section, there were 9,960 402s shipped but only 1,268 454s built (all but one with TH400 transmissions).  Still, the U codes were only 5.5% of total production.

As far as I know, the actual number of '72 Custom options ordered/built is unknown but the Z03 Custom option could be ordered with any engine so they were spread throughout the total production.  Empirical data would suggest that it was fairly limited, perhaps similar to the Z20 SS454 option in '70 and '71.

If you are considering a frame off restoration that appears to be in good physical and mechanical condition, you should expect to pay more than your average '72 survivor, especially since it is a big block and a Custom.  You could easily be in the market range of $20K - $30K, IMO.  All first gen Montes have enjoyed a rise in asking/selling price in the past couple of years so be careful to consider more recent comparables. Share photos as soon as you can. 

Good luck with your purchase!

3 hours ago, jefro said:

New Guy Here,

I have a chance at purchasing a 72 Custom, 402/TH400 that was frame off restored/rebuilt in 2000.  15,000 miles since.  It is a bucket seat console car.  Exterior is a 9, interior a 7.  Shows as a very nice car.  What price range would be reasonable for a car like this? 

I look forward to joining the Monte Carlo fraternity you guys have here!

Hey Jeff, Nice Find!  :2beers:  I also own a 72 Custom & have been documenting those that are still serviceable vehicles.  I do this because there are no statistics documenting those Production Numbers and I would like to know how many are left.  I have a Post in this Forum under 454 SS Thread (1st one) *72 CUSTOM NUMBERS* that you can look over yourself.  Mine is car #1 and there are (52) individual Cars documented.

Please let me add your vehicle (if not already previously found & documented) on my spreadsheet.  The VIN# is most important as I can filter it for matches on the Spreadsheet, preventing duplicates.

Looking forward to this and Pic's when gotten......................

Doug 

22 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Welcome we have another member in Brunswick and another not to far from there. She had a beautiful 71 SS . Hard to say what's its worth without more info but its worth whatever your willing to pay if it the car you want. Good luck with it. 

Yeah, I get it... I look forward to meeting her as well!  I believe I have seen her at the Saturday cruise-in at Laurel Square.  

19 hours ago, MCfan said:

Welcome to the club forums, Jeff!  Hope you are able to acquire the '72 Custom you described and will become a regular member of our helpful club. 

While we seldom go out on a limb with specific price suggestions, we all have our own opinions based on what we know about the vehicle in question, the current market and our own values.  What matters most is your assessment/opinion based on your interests and values.

I believe it is safe to say that the only version of the '72 Monte that is more rare and desirable than a "U code" (402) Custom would be a "W code" (454) Custom.  According to the 1972 U.S. Production numbers in our Tech Info section, there were 9,960 402s shipped but only 1,268 454s built (all but one with TH400 transmissions).  Still, the U codes were only 5.5% of total production.

As far as I know, the actual number of '72 Custom options ordered/built is unknown but the Z03 Custom option could be ordered with any engine so they were spread throughout the total production.  Empirical data would suggest that it was fairly limited, perhaps similar to the Z20 SS454 option in '70 and '71.

If you are considering a frame off restoration that appears to be in good physical and mechanical condition, you should expect to pay more than your average '72 survivor, especially since it is a big block and a Custom.  You could easily be in the market range of $20K - $30K, IMO.  All first gen Montes have enjoyed a rise in asking/selling price in the past couple of years so be careful to consider more recent comparables. Share photos as soon as you can. 

Good luck with your purchase!

Thank you Dennis!  I plan on being an active member here as I cull my collection down to one (hopefully Monte Carlo) car.  

Jefro,

I echo the sentiments here regarding the value/worth of any particularly vehicle. I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “it’s worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it“. 

That said, do your due diligence before pulling the trigger on the purchase. Ask for restoration photos, receipts, and documentation supporting the authenticity of the car. In my case, I paid a nationally registered vehicle inspection service based in Los Angeles to fly to where my 70SS was located in California. Not only did the inspector take pictures (A LOT) of the vehicle, he also took pictures of original parts that were to be included in the sale, receipts of work performed on the car, the Protect-O-plate, build sheet etcetera. It was a small price to pay rather than buy the vehicle based on a few photos posted online by the seller and then pay to have it transported across the country only to find out it had underlying issues. 

When I started the hunt for my car I routinely reminded myself not to fall in love at first sight and to be cautiously optimistic (don’t get your hopes up, kid!) when something looked legit. Hell, I just recently reached out here regarding a conflict between numbers on the block vs. the P-O-P with my car.  You absolutely cannot go wrong reaching out with questions and concerns... there is a ton of institutional knowledge ripe for the pickin’ here. 

Just my 2 cents. 

On 1/24/2021 at 2:00 PM, Glen said:

Jefro,

I echo the sentiments here regarding the value/worth of any particularly vehicle. I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “it’s worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it“. 

That said, do your due diligence before pulling the trigger on the purchase. Ask for restoration photos, receipts, and documentation supporting the authenticity of the car. In my case, I paid a nationally registered vehicle inspection service based in Los Angeles to fly to where my 70SS was located in California. Not only did the inspector take pictures (A LOT) of the vehicle, he also took pictures of original parts that were to be included in the sale, receipts of work performed on the car, the Protect-O-plate, build sheet etcetera. It was a small price to pay rather than buy the vehicle based on a few photos posted online by the seller and then pay to have it transported across the country only to find out it had underlying issues. 

When I started the hunt for my car I routinely reminded myself not to fall in love at first sight and to be cautiously optimistic (don’t get your hopes up, kid!) when something looked legit. Hell, I just recently reached out here regarding a conflict between numbers on the block vs. the P-O-P with my car.  You absolutely cannot go wrong reaching out with questions and concerns... there is a ton of institutional knowledge ripe for the pickin’ here. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Thanks for the advise Glen!  I know too well how many cars are misrepresented on the market.  I will be armed with engine/trans codes, vin decoder... and looking for paperwork, paperwork!  Luckily it isn't too far away from me.  

11 hours ago, jefro said:

Thanks for the advise Glen!  I know too well how many cars are misrepresented on the market.  I will be armed with engine/trans codes, vin decoder... and looking for paperwork, paperwork!  Luckily it isn't too far away from me.  

Good look and keep us all posted Jefro. 

On 2/6/2021 at 7:19 PM, jefro said:

Will do Glen.  By the way, know anything about this one in Chicago?  Shows as a Custom.

1972 monte carlo chevelle impala caprice - cars & trucks - by owner... (craigslist.org)

00W0W_dueuOmLWCX1z_0CI0lM_600x450.jpg

If anybody here is seriously interested in this girl, the seller isn’t located too far from me (judging by the location posted in the ad). I’d be happy to act as a liaison, picture taker, etc. in the event it might help out in any way. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am going to see and hopefully buy that 72 tomorrow barring any last minute issues...  Any last minute advise appreciated!

Be looking for pics in the near future!  

Jeff, there are so many things you could be advised on.

Documentation:  build sheet,  service records, protecto-plate etc.

Rust:  run your fingers around the wheel well lips, open the trunk and look for water/rust lines caused by leakage coming from rear window, lower front fenders behind the tires, if it has a vinyl roof look for signs of rust under the vinyl which will look like bumps especially around the lower part of the back window, check under the car at the floor boards for rust

Interior:  check seats for dry-rot tears or holes, headliner for holes, functioning gauges/idiot lights etc.  Look to see if the owner has cleaned and vacuumed it, if not it may be a sign they are not a detail type of person

Engine compartment:  If modifications have been added ask if they have the old parts such as intake and exhaust manifolds and carb.  Check if it is numbers matching and if AC is installed see if it works.

Tires:  Check tread depth, check for dry-rot and how old the tires are

Like I said, there are so many things to look at it would take all night to list them.

I think the important thing is if you like the car.  If yes and you feel the price is right......BUY IT

rob

Thanks Rob!  Luckily this one had a rotisserie restoration, so I better not see rust...  however good points on the tires and numbers. Up early, printed out engine/trans codes and vin decoder.  Money is burning a hole in my pocket, lol.  Can't wait to share it with everyone. 

• Like 1

Well, here it is!  72 Custom, U code 402 BB, AC, Bucket/Console, Power Windows, Defogger.  Drove great on 4 hour drive home.  Now what have I done, lol?!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

• Like 2

I'd say you've bought yourself a gorgeous first gen Monte Carlo!  Well done!  Congratulations!!  Enjoy!