In search of my first car

I found some paperwork for my first 1970 Monte. Was wondering if anyone has come across this car. It was a 70SS with lots of options. 

The VIN is 138570B136421

20191202_202320.jpg

• Like 1

I have the same issue.

138571L130153 71 SS Antique Green Automatic Green interior. I have struggled with getting any information with 13 vs 17 vin. Please let me know if you figure something out! I have all trade in ppwk and notarized odometer statement etc..

192B118C-5B65-4F8F-B929-EF0A17C19A02.jpeg

• Like 1

Do you have any buddies that are police officers? If so, they may be able to run the VIN and see if the car is at least in the system somewhere. I tried that with a prior Monte I owned, but unfortunately it produced no results.

27 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Do you have any buddies that are police officers? If so, they may be able to run the VIN and see if the car is at least in the system somewhere. I tried that with a prior Monte I owned, but unfortunately it produced no results.

I have a buddy who works at our Secretary of State (DVM). He’ll be back to work on Thursday so I’ll reach out to him to see what kind of access he has. I do know that when running older VINs, it’s not uncommon for LEADS to return two, three or sometimes even more VINs that share most of the numbers/letters of the one submitted for inquiry because they’re close in many characters to the VINs with 17 digits in them. 

Do me a favor gents:  to the best of your recollection/ability, give me the approximate YEAR and STATE in which your believe these cars would’ve most recently been registered. 

I’ll let you know what - if anything - he’s able to tell me as soon I can (hopefully by Thursday evening). 

My old one was a '72 Monte, last registered in NY State in the mid 90's, at least under me. I heard the car was still around a couple of years later then disappeared. The VIN was  1H57H2R587886

A couple of my buddies tried to run it, but it's worth another shot. Thank you!

Raymond & Carlos...

I just left my buddy at the DMV, and as you probably anticipated, the search results were negative. Always a longshot, but worth the effort for sure. Glad to have tried to help and I’m sorry things didn’t go better. I just got off the phone with Joe in New York… same story on his Monte 😞.  When these cars sit for years, even decades unregistered, it makes it that much harder to hunt them down.  I was able to grab a screenshot of each VIN in the system and the results:

D63538EB-5E03-4870-ACD7-CB2A0329F0C0.jpeg

2F3B71F7-F0DF-419D-A29E-5852297EB837.jpeg

6 hours ago, Carlos Herrera said:

Glen I really appreciate you doing this. Definitely worth a shot and the search goes on!

No problem Carlos. Keep us posted if you pick up any kind of promising leads. You never know when something may come outta left field. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for your effort Glen, 

When I sold my car back in 85, I was having an issue with the positive side of the coil wire melting all the way back to the fuse block. So it wouldn't start.  I tried everything to figure out what was going on with it, but gave up and sold it for 500.00. The guy who bought it said the engine alone was worth 500.00.    So I'm guessing he took the motor and sent the rest to the junkyard.  I lived in Crown Point Indiana when I sold it. I think the buyer was from Hammond.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:14 PM, Raymond said:

Thanks for your effort Glen, 

When I sold my car back in 85, I was having an issue with the positive side of the coil wire melting all the way back to the fuse block. So it wouldn't start.  I tried everything to figure out what was going on with it, but gave up and sold it for 500.00. The guy who bought it said the engine alone was worth 500.00.    So I'm guessing he took the motor and sent the rest to the junkyard.  I lived in Crown Point Indiana when I sold it. I think the buyer was from Hammond.

Damn!  Let’s hope he was just BS’ing you and that the car is still out there somewhere. While the hunt and the chase to track these girls down can be both fun and exhilarating, it obviously can also be infuriating. Hell, I was only 15 when you sold that car; I can only imagine what might have happened over the 35 years since. 

Regardless ...if you guys develop any new leads, please let me know and I’ll have my bud try again. 

Glen,

I bought a 70SS from Steve Redmeyer last spring.  Its a beautiful car. So I never lost my passion for these cars, but I litterally still dream about finding my first. That car was so loaded with options. Makes me sick that I gave her away. It had washer fluid indicator, power trunk release, map light on rear view mirror, rear defrost, and power driver seat.

My buddies told me I'd regret selling it.  36 years later, yup, I regret it.

Ray do you get to many car shows north of INDY? There is a really nice show the Saturday after Labor Day in Zionsville put on by the Lions club, The American Dream Car Show held in conjunction with their fall festival. They judge the car by points and start at 160 or 200 can't remember which and start deducting from there. I have won several times over the last ten years with two years ago getting the Lions Choice award.