Indicators not working, brake now makes front indicators come on.

AUS Monte

Hey everyone,

I recently took my Monte into a shop to get the thread repaired on the upper control arm bolt (front left driver side). When I picked the car up the indicators weren’t working at all (no indicating sound or light when I use the indicator stalk) and now when I press the brake pedal the front two indicators come on. The car was fine before I took it in.

I think it could be a grounding issue and I don’t know if the shop potentially caused something when they repaired the front left (driver side) upper control arm. Are there any grounds close by?

Has anyone had a similar issue before and was the a specific ground or fuse that was the culprit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Check all the bulbs. Especially the tailight. Make sure they are working correctly, low for parking lights and bright for brakes. Sounds like burly out bulbs or bulb installed incorrectly. It does happen. Try that first and let us know.  Good luck

I always think about what has changed. I would look around the area they worked on first. Perhaps they cut a wire or used a torch to heat up a bolt that was stuck and melted something. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Similar to what I ran across.  Found my turn signal switch is defective.  Don't know how the work that was done could cause your issue though.

Sometimes stuff just breaks at weird times. I agree with the others, inspect the work area closely but don't rule out the TS switch either. 

• 1 month later...

Sounds a s if your 4-way flasher switch is in the ON position. When the 4-ways are running normally, stepping on the brake will freeze the blinking process and all four corners will be brightly lit. I used to put on the parking lamps, turn on the 4-ways and drag the brakes to exit my driveway early in the morning so my headlights didn't wake my neighbor. Having the front lamps lit bright like that was good enough to see where I was going.

Do your 4-way flashers work? I'm thinking maybe your hazard flasher is bad...the switch has them on, but you don't know it.