SS454 Info Page

Canuck

I clarified some details regarding the build sheets and added other points to the Documentation area (body tag, protectoplate, etc). Also common for people to ask if the VIN will verify an SS so made that point stand out a little more.

• Like 2

Thanks Aaron!

Given the recent discussion about 454 stampings, maybe you should add that 1970 454 Monte blocks were stamped "CRN" and "CPD" for5 1971.

The 1970 SS cars when ordered with wheel covers had black painted 7" rally wheels under the covers.

• Like 1

Thank you sir! Would it be possible to add more pictures of the engine? Maybe a front pick showing the entire compartment?  

P.S. Is that your car showing the SS rear badge? If so it would be very nice to have some additional pictures of it.

Thanks again.  

1 hour ago, sbarnette said:

Great information! Was the 3:31 rear axle an option in 1970? Seems I read that somewhere in the past. Thanks!

Good question. I think it was but I don’t know for sure. If someone here can confirm that Ill update the info.

39 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

Thank you sir! Would it be possible to add more pictures of the engine? Maybe a front pick showing the entire compartment?  

P.S. Is that your car showing the SS rear badge? If so it would be very nice to have some additional pictures of it.

Thanks again.  

I’ll look into adding more photos. Maybe 1970 and a 1971 full engine bay photos.

Yes that’s my copper 1971 SS. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I checked my collection of '70 SS454 build sheets and all have the 2.56:1 rear gear. That's not definite proof, but it's more than I thought I'd find. 

Dan 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sbarnette said:

Thanks checking. If anyone else knows if the 3:31 rear axle ratio was offered as an option in 70, please feel free to chime in.

Empirical evidence to the contrary, the 1970 Monte Carlo Sales Brochure published in September 1969 shows that a 3.31 axle ratio was STANDARD for the LS5 and the LS3 with either auto or manual transmission.

image.png.702b8efd177fdaf0290a22bb8987ea9f.png

P6010037.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sbarnette said:

Thanks checking. If anyone else knows if the 3:31 rear axle ratio was offered as an option in 70, please feel free to chime in.

My car 70 came with the 3.31 rear gear

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 2:45 PM, Canuck said:

I have added more info to the SS454 page on our site. Check it out.
https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/ss454/

Canuck, THANK YOU for posting this!

So far this is THE MOST comprehensive information on our beloved SS's (Ess-Ess'z) haha

Jeff 

1970 Ess Ess

• Like 1