A 71 SS sold for $82k today

One of our members from Ohio flew down there to bid on that car.  While he was inspecting it he was talking to me on the phone and with help from Thomas F, I was pointing some things to him based upon the pictures.... advertised as remote mirror but even though the remote lever on the driver interior panel the exterior mirror is not remote.  Burlwood insert on the console is the wrong pattern. Wrong air cleaner, wrong exhaust tips.  Owner admits it is not a factory manual trany.  He could not verify engine number matches.  None of the auto level system parts were there but it did have the shock shock protector plates and boxed rear control arms.

Our member told me that he was told when he arrived to inspect the car that none of these museum cars can be started due to the fluids being drained.  

I think this is way crazy money for that car and in my honest opinion the buyer had more "dollars" than "sense".  Don't get me wrong, it is nice to see first gen Monte's bringing higher prices, the down side is that for those of us looking for that "dream car" these crazy auction prices will put those "Dream Cars" beyond our means.

rob

We’ve all seen some cars get a lot of money. Chevelles, Corvettes, Mustangs, Hemis... but these cars usually have every tiny detail perfect.

While I’m glad to finally see our car getting some decent sell values like this car did, it certainly has a lot of details wrong.

Is this even a real SS? As ALL the lift components are missing except the shock shields and no engine block numbers provided, I’m highly suspicious.

Aside what Rob said, it has a glass fuel filter, master cylinder without bleeders, chrome valve covers, HEI distributor, blue plug wires, squirter hoses not poked through the firewall holes, wrong steering wheel, added gauges, aftermarket radio and chrome oversized rally wheels.

I’ll bet the seller didn’t expect such high bids.

4 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

We’ve all seen some cars get a lot of money. Chevelles, Corvettes, Mustangs, Hemis... but these cars usually have every tiny detail perfect.

While I’m glad to finally see our car getting some decent sell values like this car did, it certainly has a lot of details wrong.

Is this even a real SS? As ALL the lift components are missing except the shock shields and no engine block numbers provided, I’m highly suspicious.

Aside what Rob said, it has a glass fuel filter, master cylinder without bleeders, chrome valve covers, HEI distributor, blue plug wires, squirter hoses not poked through the firewall holes, wrong steering wheel, added gauges, aftermarket radio and chrome oversized rally wheels.

Note that the squirter hoses only go through the firewall for 1970. They do not go through the firewall in 71/72 as the nozzle is mounted in a different location on the hood. Most of those other items are easily changed for not a lot of money. As far as if it is a real SS is the biggest issue for sure. Has some components that certainly suggest it could be an SS (rear bumper, SS rear trim, shock protectors, dash knob with symbol). I have not seen anything that suggests it is not an SS so it would need more investigating for me to buy it.

2 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

I pointed out all of these items (except the washer hoses) to the club member a that was there as he was looking at it. 

rob

I'm guessing that the words Muscle Car City adds a premium to any car the way Welborn adds value to Mopar. That was two guys who saw that car many times and partook in the bidders lube that is included in your bidders pass.

I'll agree its nice to see the first gen's getting some attention but also watching auctions can't understand the money being spent. To go way off track here, 5.4 million for Carroll Shelby's Cobra ? What can you do with that car once you get it home unless you have a museum? 

And to further whats been pointed out, anyone who's been to a Mecum or BJ auction knows while they talk a good talk on tv and look good on the website and tv knows up close and personal some aren't all as they appear. 

Just another of the perks from this forum, for those of us who got into Monte's without knowing anything about Monte's 🤣

• Like 1

The Daily Sun recently reported that the Mecum auction of 200 GM classic cars in Punta Gorda, Florida on January 22 & 23 racked up a total of $18.4 Million for Muscle Car City owner Rick Treworgy.

Top sellers, included the following:

• '63 Corvette resto-mod $368,500
  • '69 COPO Camaro $297,000
  • '58 Chevy convertible resto-mod $253,000
  • '67 Corvette convertible resto-mod $231,000
  • '61 Chevy Impala convertible &220,000
  • '60 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible $214,500
  • '69 COPO Camaro $209,000
  • '68 Corvette convertible $209,000
  • '65 Chevy C10 pickup $198,000
  • '65 Chevelle Z16 $187,000

As reported earlier, the '71 Monte SS454 4-speed conversion sold for $82,000.  Apparently, a high tide raises all the boats ...

I've been through the museum many times but did not attend the auction.  A neighbor said it was a mob scene and a feeding frenzy with crazy high bidding.  Sorry to see the museum go as it was a key attraction in this area.