71 MC. Just purchased. Have Questions.

GraniteGuy88

My neighbor has had a beautiful "Old car" parked beside her house since she moved in a year ago. I never spoke with her until I happen to see her in her yard today. Told her I loved the car, she replied wanna buy it! She asked 2k, I offered $1600 and it was mine. Turns out its a 71MC. She claims its a 400 v8. It turned right over and started up but i noticed the carb was pouring fuel out the top pipe between the barrels on the back makin a mess. It sounded great but looped bad like a idling drag car for about 15sec before it died out. It has a big 4bl holley carb on it. I noticed the column has a shifter space/hole but its got a automatic floor shifter with pnd21. Did they make a 400v8 with a 2auto? Or is it all chopped up? Either way I feel it was well worth the cash. Wish i could figure out how to post a pic.

Welcome !!! Seems like you got a good deal. They did make Monte carlo's with a 2 speed powerglide transmission but was a special order. Most of the Monte's I've seen  with the small block 400 engine came with the M40 code trans (turbo 400). If the car was a factory column shift car the dash right above the steering column would have the gear selector and would tell you if it had a 3 or two speed trans. Good luck with your Monte

Welcome! That is a good buy for $1,600. As said it was possible to get a 2 speed powerglide but only with the 350 2-barrel engine. You said it has “D21” which would make it a 3 speed.

To add photos to your post you can click on “add files” at the bottom of the window when making a post.

This is a great group here. :)

Welcome! Sounds like a good buy. 

The needle and seat are stuck, causing the fuel leak and the rough idle before stalling. Ez fix.

Sounds like the Monte was originally a column shifted car and was converted to floor shift. One way to confirm this is to look at the bottom of the speedometer. If it has P-R-N-D21 then it was originally a column shift. If not, then the column was changed. 

We love pics!!!! Hint hint.. lol

Welcome!  MC1of80 is right...LIGHTLY tap the float bowls a few times with a screwdriver, pair of pliers or small hammer to stop that gas from pouring out of the vent pipe (ask me how I know 😬). And if you don’t plan on dropping the gas tank to dump the bad fuel, it sure wouldn’t hurt to throw a bottle of carb/injector cleaner in since it’s obviously been sitting for at least a year. I’d err on the side of caution and drop the tank to minimize making things worse. And, yes... PIX PLEASE!

Welcome! Sounds like a good buy. 

The needle and seat are stuck, causing the fuel leak and the rough idle before stalling. Ez fix.

Sounds like the Monte was originally a column shifted car and was converted to floor shift. One way to confirm this is to look at the bottom of the speedometer. If it has P-R-N-D21 then it was originally a column shift. If not, then the column was changed. 

We love pics!!!! Hint hint.. lol