71 MC. Just purchased. Have Questions.

8 minutes ago, Boots said:

how come nobody jumped on the 1970  front bumper

Steve already did, in the 4th post or so.

• Like 1

So. I bought the car sat night from the neighbor. Worked all day sunday. So today Ive been tinkering with it for the past hr. Put a batt in it, fired right up. Oil&Water good. Its missing the air filter so it idles a lil high. Driver side exhaust put out considerable white smoke that smells like gas for about 2min then cleared up for most part. No temp gauge. Just dummy light😞. Checked the transmission for fluid. BONE dry. Added fluid to stick level. Shifts into all gears now. I let it idle for around 5 min. Drove it to my yard. The electric fan never kicked on but Theres alot of questionable wiring going on in the car. I agree the in line filter needs changed asap. Its slightly warped and getting old temp cracks in it.

20210125_181533.jpg

20210125_174024.jpg

20210125_175926.jpg

Well thats progress for sure, didn't see in the thread if you addressed the fuel pouring out of the carb, that would be my 1st priority. As other have said, start with the basics as you really don't know the car history, oil change, spark plugs, flush the radiator and the list goes on lol. Before you start yanking wires, (electrical) find out what works and what doesn't . A pretty cheap and easy mod is to add a oil pressure/ water temp gauge , kinda important gauges lol

That carb fuel issue was what I wanted to address. The very first time it wouldnt start I think it was a mixture of flooding/semi stuck float and rigged carb. Today i put a good batt in it. Turned it over once and it fired right up. I was expecting to half to tap the carb as suggested but no leakage. At all. My goal was to get it to my property. The fact that the carb didnt leak and the transmission worked with fresh fluid Ill take as a win. The lady was even "you believe me know? I wasnt lieing". Her man got it running. Thats about it . I have other daily drivers. This one is for the maybe one day a week Im not driving my work truck. She also had a buncha resto books she gave me. I belive her when she says she drove it daily. But I want it running to its full potential. When im driving i dont wanna worry about stalling or fire or my transmission falling out.lol.

2021-01-25-19-04-24.jpg

2021-01-25-19-01-24.jpg

10 hours ago, GraniteGuy88 said:

Yay! Update. Ive located the engine block number on backside/driverside near bellhousing. There were also some other numbers near the same area. Also on the passenger side behind the block i found what im guessin might be a mnfg date? Found out I have some loose and missing bellhousing bolts.

2021-01-25-07-08-39.jpg

2021-01-25-07-09-47.jpg

2021-01-25-07-13-01.jpg

In this post you did, looking at the third picture just right of center, is that a crack in the casting?

rob

Glad to hear there is no fuel leak issue anymore. Like Tom said, no air cleaner shouldn't be affecting the idle. I'll take a wild guess the past owner had it timed that way with the mods done. 

In your first video post i get video and audio on the 2nd video, no video or audio on any other posted videos. 

Now that you've got it home the real fun can begin lol 

I cant get the videos to load up right😠best I can do right now is some stillshots in carb. Think they sealed off half the carb. It Idles feels like its running HARD, . Like a tractor hard. Like the rocker arms are loud. I gave it a quick Qtr throttle by hand expecting a idle up.. Like a wind up but it was Immediate load high rpm. When I put it in gear it idles down significantly though. Also in the process of cleaning it up. Took a good back of car pic and a interior pic now that i can fit in there. Im 6'1 280lb man. This guy had bolted the bucket seats almost to the dash. I moved the driver seat back to a more comfortable position. The passenger is still way foward. Anyway. Let me know what you guys think. And i cant figure out how to remove the failed videos.20210126_181448.thumb.jpg.7524ac9c40538a9cf290d9d6c0ab2e7f.jpg Disregard.

2021-01-26-19-28-38.jpg

2021-01-26-19-32-29.jpg

20210126_174629.jpg

Looking good! As you know that carb is fubar. Find, get, acquire, buy yourself a 750-800 cfm holley. You don't plan on racing it so I would say a 750 vacuum secondary carb. 

Not knowing the stall speed of the converter is also an issue. The converter may be too tight and that's why the car has a high idle. 

You won't be able to figure that out till you know the engine is running correctly. Start with a different carb. The one on there now is basically junk. Sorry for being blunt. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

. Start with a different carb. The one on there now is basically junk.

This ^^^

I respect blunt! Its hard looking online for something you dont know much about. The prices just vary so much. I seen 750\800cfm carbs ranging from 350.00 to like a grand. Anyone could recommend a specific carb for a justified price that would be great.  I have general mechanic skills. When I was growin up if it broke you fixed it.. Best ya could.. Worked on GE Mac70 Locomotives for a couple years also. Im assuming I can figure out swap the carb. About the overall sound, should i be able to distinctly hear what i would think of in my mind as rocker arms or lifters clacking the whole time? But like in perfect rhythm with a random seldom out of tune clack. Is there ant way to tell what work has been done to it without tearing into it?

The rocker arms could be loose. They could be roller rockers, where there will always be slight noise, the car could have a solid lifter cam where that noise will always be there. 

The get an idea, you would have to pull off a valve cover and see what's there. 

As far as carbs, I just purchased a ProForm 650dp for my son's 71 small block from Amazon. They had the best price. To be honest the carb not only looks good but it is working flawlessly and almost no adjustments were needed. Right out of the box it was set up. Except for the idle speed. Very impressed. 

• Like 1

Something like this will work fine, if you want vacuum secondary's. If you want, you could add an electric choke kit to it. There are plenty of options out there, but Holley's are pretty easy to work on and adjust. I've always used double pumpers, but never cared about fuel ecomony either.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-3310s?rrec=true

EDIT: Tom's on fire tonight, lol. I need to type faster. 😆

• Like 1

Told the wife Im spending 380. On a new carb. She said well if im going to ride in it I dont want it breaking down.. Id say permission granted from that statement 😄. So Yay, so you guys would unanimously agreed the previously recommend carb would be the best bet? This weekend Im taking off those valve covers and checking out the insides. Just a worry wart about clacking since I previously had a oil pump slowly die on a 5.4 ford. 

• Like 1