402 BB rebuild

72 Monte Carlo

I bought a 70 Chevelle 402 330 HP engine and I'm in the process of rebuilding it. The only issue it had was a broken rocker arm on the #7 cylinder.

I just had the crankshaft turned and polished and it's now .010 on the mains and .010 on the rods. The crankshaft is the OEM stock crank.

I've always used Clevite 77 main and rod bearings in the past. I have heard good and bad about King bearings from other forums, but if I go with Clevite 77 bearings, should I go with the H or P series bearings?

I ran Clevite P bearings in a built 402 I had 30 years ago and never had an issue with them.

Doug,

I'm running King bearings in a 400 hp 350 and can't say anything bad about them. The tolerances were within spec and they seem like a good product. I only have about 7500 miles on them, but no problems.

That being said, I just pulled my 427 apart. I built it in 1983 using Clevite 77P bearings.  That thing consistently saw 6500 rpm at the track and had probably 35,000 hard street miles on it. I took it apart because it was using oil and I figured the bearings were tired too. Suffice it to say, the bearings will be going back in because they have literally no signs of wear.

I think it comes down to proper clearances and regular oil changes. If you had good luck with the Clevite P's, I say stick with'em. 

Scott

• 5 months later...

What's everyone's go-to cast piston to run? Sealed Power, Federal Mogul, Silvolite, TRW?

I think Sealed Power, Federal Mogul, and TRW are all owned by the same company now.

Hypereutectic or regular cast for a street driven big block and no blower or nitrous added to it ever?

3 hours ago, 72 Monte Carlo said:

What's everyone's go-to cast piston to run? Sealed Power, Federal Mogul, Silvolite, TRW?

I think Sealed Power, Federal Mogul, and TRW are all owned by the same company now.

Hypereutectic or regular cast for a street driven big block and no blower or nitrous added to it ever?

I believe the guy that built mine used Mahle 

6 hours ago, 72 Monte Carlo said:

Many years ago a speed shop told me TRW was short for 'Tennessee Repackaging Warehouse', meaning they got parts from everywhere and just put them in their boxes. Made me laugh, but also made you wonder, lol

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Many years ago a speed shop told me TRW was short for 'Tennessee Repackaging Warehouse', meaning they got parts from everywhere and just put them in their boxes. Made me laugh, but also made you wonder, lol

That’s funny 😄 

For stock-ish rebuilds I like Mahle. I also did a small block with summit brand pistons. They were super cheap. I think they were $85 for 8 pistons. Worked out nicely. I've used king bearings in my last two engines. Clevites work fine too, I have p series Clevite 77s on my big block. 

Sorry, street or not, if I'm building or having an engine built, it gets forged Pistons. Ya never know what you will add later. Ask me how I know. Lolol and never say never. Lolol

The machine shop just took it upon themselves to bore the block to their preferred choice of piston (Silv-O-Lite) without asking me first, so I'll be running those pistons along with a set of Total Seal gapless top ring set. A friend of mine for over 20 years is a professional mechanic with his own shop, and he runs TS gapless top rings in his OEM spec 327 in his 57 Chevy Bel-Air hardtop that will pull wheelies off the line (other friends have witnessed it first hand several times.

I should have the block back this week with it being hot tanked, new cam bearings, and new brass freeze plugs. I'm just waiting for the new pistons and rings to show up so I can have the new pistons pressed onto the connecting rods, then I should be able to start building the engine.