My 70...

Hey guys,

Wanted to get some crager SS's and BFGoodrich's...for her...what's the best all around sizes....would like to keep all the same size rims and tires... any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance for the help :  )

20191123_122505.thumb.jpg.43f9e23c3c1ff8e69c24074b474cd41f.jpg

Welcome to the club and forums, Jim!  Looks like I missed your introductory post back on November 29.  Good to have another Floridian on board, as well as, another '70 Monte Carlo that somehow looks pretty familiar!

I've never run Cragars on my '70 but the classic Cragar S/S is my favorite non-stock wheel on a first gen Monte.  There are plenty of members here who have them or have had them that can share their opinions and give you advice.

If the rallys and tires shown in your photo are working well for you now, it would be most helpful if you would share the specs on them. Are they the stock rally wheel (RPO ZJ7)?  If not what is the rim width and backspace? What is the tire size as shown in the photo?  Are all of the rims and tires the same size?  What is the least clearance between the wheel well lip and the tire sidewall on the rear?  Are you getting any rubbing of the front tires on severe turns or jounce?

Almost everyone wants to run fatter tires and that's great because our first gen Montes can handle both wider rims and fatter/taller tires in their relatively generous wheel wells.  HOWEVER, the amount of rim BACKSPACE (and the directly related OFFSET) is CRITICAL to positioning wider/taller wheel/tire combos so there is adequate inside and outside clearance.

There two extremely useful online tools to help you compare various wheel/tire combos and to know exactly what backspace/offset specs to buy/order for your new wheels whatever width and diameter you choose.  You can access both of these tools at tiresize.com.   The link for the Tire Size Calculator/Comparison is: https://tiresize.com/calculator/ and the link for the Wheel Offset Calculator/Converter is: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

If you simply use the data from your current wheel/tire combo (as suggested above) for the "Original Setup" you can get both a visual and numerical comparison with any other wheel/tire combo you enter for the "New Setup".  Since you can know (by direct measurement) the clearances with your current combo, you will also know how to adjust the wheel backspace/offset to end up with safe clearances for your new combo.  The biggest danger is buying/ordering wheels with TOO LITTLE backspace.  There is more room to accommodate wider rims and fatter tires inboard of the wheel mounting surface than outboard and more backspace (and positive offset) moves the rim/tire combo closer to the frame and inner wheel well so you don't get clearance issues with the outer wheel well lip.

BTW, the AMA '70 Monte specifications for the stock 15x7 rally wheel (RPOZJ7) are: 4.30" backspace; +.30" (7 mm) offset

Good luck with your new wheel/tire selection.

Thx for jumping in guys...

I believe they are the stock 7" rallys with the 2" trim rings. I will update the tire size tomorrow...i bought the car with them on,..i just added new trim rings. I've always had camaros up till now ( mostly 70 - 73's ).. and always had crager SS 's.. they always seem to finish the car off nicely. Would like to have the fattest tires that wont rub...but at the same time have the same size all around.

I'll post tire size tomorrow folks...

Thanks again for the heads up about the yellowing of letters...that would suck...lol.

..Road.