Stupid Purchase

Andy's Auto

But wouldn't it be cool to have three of these? A customer has three of these that he wants to sell. Used in missile launchers, fire trucks, and later most went to work in industrial stuff. 

The Mighty GMC 702 inch V12. 

702-Cubic-Inch-11.5-Litre-GMC-V12-1.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Is that the motor they used to use in the old oshkosh trucks? I made up a bunch exhaust pipes for something like that back when I worked in the muffler shop.

Pretty sure they are. 

Something very cool about one block, one crank, four exhaust manifolds, and two intakes. Plan was to snatch them up with my Deere 3038, but at 1500 pounds each, I might have to rent a crane.

• Like 1

Interesting stuff. I looked at them this morning. Two are complete, one is missing carbs. All three have starters, alternators, water pumps, the weirdest distributors I have ever seen. Unless I can find a tow truck with a 45 foot boom, it will take a crane rental to get them out. This is one of those deals that unless you are invited into his back yard, you never know what's in it.  The guy is literally three miles away from Mar A Lago in the city. And a hoarder like I have never seen.

My friend's machine shop rebuilt a V6 version of this a few years ago. Parts are pretty much non-existant, he almost gave up until he found a head gasket. A lot of unique items on it, like the above mentioned distributor.

It'd be cool to have in a car collection shop sitting in a corner as a conversation piece but getting parts to make one to run reliably may futile.

It is an interesting design though, the cam & lifters sit in a bath of oil.

12 minutes ago, Paul Bell said:

My friend's machine shop rebuilt a V6 version of this a few years ago. Parts are pretty much non-existant, he almost gave up until he found a head gasket. A lot of unique items on it, like the above mentioned distributor.

It'd be cool to have in a car collection shop sitting in a corner as a conversation piece but getting parts to make one to run reliably may futile.

It is an interesting design though, the cam & lifters sit in a bath of oil.

Def just a conversation piece. The big downer in my eyes? Two have transmissions on them, doubling the weight. 

China wall to wall is 57 inches. BBC? 27 inches. Not fitting in any Monte.

You can make a big coffee table. Like someone else did. Wink Wink 😉. Nope just thought of a better idea. A shuffleboard table is 22 feet. That would be a cool base

Edited by Dtret
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dtret said:

You can make a big coffee table. Like someone else did.

You'll need a way bigger piece of glass than I used, lol

20190112_191906.jpg

• Like 3