Dashboard light bulb replacement question

Jsd454

Frankie, I have done that job several times now on both my car and others' cars and it takes me about 2 hours to remove the gauge pod, swap bulbs, swap any instruments, and have it put back together. I am one of those fast mechanics Dennis talks about simply due to repetition. If it is a job you haven't done before you will definitely want to take your time so as not to damage any of the old parts. Plastic gets brittle over the years and even if you work slowly and carefully there is a chance you will still damage something if it has never been disassembled before. First time in a dash you will likely discover seals that have deteriorated, insulation that has deteriorated, and other minor surprises that will likely slow down the process. Like Dennis, I too prefer to take time to complete a project when the time is available and normally plan for a few days for most projects mainly due to not knowing what you will discover once you start digging. 

If you need any guidance, list of tools, etc. to do that job feel free to reach out via pm and i can almost walk you through it at this point. 

I'd love to be walked through it... As soon as the mood strikes I will get started and likely reach out to ya. Unless anyone lives near Asheville and wants to come show me how this project is done. 

Dennis, great set of instructions and pictures! I knew about the column shift tiny wire but still forgot to unhook it and snapped it!

Snow Ball Express, here it comes!!

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to thank whoever got this back on the forum. I'm still in the " re- assembly" of mine. All gauges back in place and re-installing dash. I had to pull it on due to clock ,RPM gauge and new cluster assembly ( cracked and junk ). I'm still confused kon wire from the battery to horn relay. Mine is a '72 Monte Carlo with '70 dash parts. I'm old school and like the green dash more then the white.gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg