Restoration of 1970 402 monte

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, 70white402 said:

This is over a 2 year period.   Thanks

Ya so what. You will still beat me. Just kidding around. I seen in the post your going Astro blue. Great color that’s what mine will be. Blue on blue. Still love the work.  Keep it going

This is where I’m at.  Nos 454 4 bolt block stroked to 496.comp cam #11-422-8 roller cam.  .520 lift 218/224 duration at .050 so roughly 270 278 advertised duration. Cam is installed at 105 degrees rpm range 1,600-5,400.  781 oval port heads. 5 speed. I’m gonna replace the 3:31 with 3:73.   4 core radiator.  I have to redo the buckets and rear bench. Is legendary the place to buy?   Also, front and rear glass date coded. Where to buy?

• Like 1

I had Legendary do my interior parts, no complaints.

I also got date coded glass, all the way around, from Auto City Classis. They got me a good front window (some people here have had issues with the antenna connector). Back glass was a little warped (apparently it happens a fair amount), but they stood by it and shipped out a new one, including date coding it in about a day. Real happy with how they handled it.

Great job on your car, love the color too.

Legendary is the place! Did the front buckets and rear seat with their foam and fabric covers, black. Also used their door panels. Had an issue with one over a yr later and they fixed/replaced it in a matter of days. Definately will use them again and recommend them.

Car looks great!! Keep the pics coming! 

How did the transmission fit in the tunnel? It looks like you did not have to do any modifications. Were you able to use the original transmission crossmember? What are you going to do with the back drive ride that locks the steering column? Reason why is I am thinking of doing the same upgrade to my 1970 four-speed car.

John S

No modification on the tunnel. 5 speed fit right in. Had to use sst crossmember. 6 speed is a different animal. Very big trans. Tunnel would have to be completely taken out. I figured I didn’t need another overdrive gear.

You are the MAN. Great work on your Monte. I give you a lot of credit.The body lines are absolutely perfect. Excellent paint.

I have a question on the rear trunk upper hockey moldings? Are the GM NOS, GM rechrome or are the moldings from the Parts Place?

I’m sure it’s too late but I would really like to know the measurement of the two holes in the rear taillight housings in the picture you posted from right to left. Thanks, Carl

3 minutes ago, MC-71 said:

Any chance in giving me the two hole dimensions that I had posted?

I measured mine and posted it but I cannot remember what post it went to. Something about Parts Place makes hockey sticks if I remember correctly 

15 minutes ago, MC-71 said:

Any chance in giving me the two hole dimensions that I had posted?

I believe it is posted in this thread.

EDIT: I looked through and didn’t see measurement for the holes but it does show the difference between the original and reproduction trim.

2 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Didn't someone say at one point the aftermarket ones studs were a little differently placed? It seems to me I remember that.

Yes, that is in the link I posted above. Kelly posted photos of them side by side to compare.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My interior code is 767. Is my carpet color dark blue or medium blue?  Is acc the best place to buy carpet for a manual with console?  Guys here have said to make sure you get a carpet made for a manual car?

C2B1216F-3BB6-4E8C-A738-E85873B99320.jpeg

For the colour, I recommend asking for swatches of all the different blues they have and compare them to a section of the original carpet that wasn’t exposed to the sun. I know for my car the colours ACC showed as factory wasn’t correct for Sandalwood. On the ACC site I selected “show all colors” and it was one of those that matched.

https://www.accmats.com/commerce/1970/Chevrolet/Monte Carlo/Flooring/2063/

As for the 4-speed hump I’m not sure. Maybe the 4-speed guys can chime in. I am happy with the fit of the ACC carpet but mine is auto.

• 1 month later...

1969 chevelle chambered exhaust from Gardner exhaust. I was gonna put headers on it but went back to the manifolds but still wanted noise. The rear resonators will soften it a bit. Original 69 rolled exhaust tips. I like them better than the straight ones.

Love the progress, keep the pictures coming.  The only thing we like more than pictures is more and more pictures.

Just a note, I would cover the radiator opening to keep mice out.

rob