Dash rework

Grant MacPherson

After all the great dash R&R tips I am going to pull my dash to do some upgrades and maintenance.

I plan on repairing the clock

relamping the instrement cluster (relamped last year, still not bright enough, going to try LED) 

changing the amp guage to volts

going through the heater/ac controls to to verify all dampers and control working properly

polish cluster face plate

intall bluetooth and amp

What am I missing? Don't want to go back in again! Please forward all thoughts.

Thanks      

• Like 1

Grant,

I like the thoughtful way you are pre-planning your dash project "snowball"!  You already have a good list and a great suggestion (that I wish I had also done). 

Three more possibilities to consider:

1.  If your heater core is original, consider replacing it as a pre-emptive measure because it is likely just a matter of time before it will start leaking anyway. I remember back in the late '70s when the heater core in my '74 Buick started leaking.  I hauled out my Chilton's repair manual for advice and Step 1 was: "Remove the dash."  Eight hours later, I was ready for Step 2.

2. If the original sound-deadening/thermal insulation that is on the upper section of the inside firewall is falling down or apart, it can be reattached with glue/tape or replaced with Snow King thermal insulating mat (or equivalent).  I've done each method once depending on the condition of the original material.  I also did the inside of the kick panels.

3. If your A/C or vent deflectors are in bad shape, now is a good time to replace or disassemble them for painting (I used Bumper Chrome on some).

Good luck with your multi-faceted project!

P9136345.JPG

P9116339.JPG

P9186351.JPG

P9136342.JPG

P9136343.JPG

P9136344.JPG

P9186353.JPG

• Like 4