TH350 with a LS

ejw71

I'm going to install a LS engine in my '71. My intention is to use its TH350 trans (of course beefed up).  Please send me your pros and cons on this. My pros are no computer control of the TH350 and with proper placement of the LS the TH350 can use its stock trans cross member, mount and driveshaft. Or am I singing Dixie? Thanks, Ed Wieder, ejw71

What you want to do can be done. I have done an LS swap into another vehicle, not a Monte Carlo. 

6.0 with a th400 behind it. The th350  bellhousing will bolt up to the LS except for one bolt. No biggie. 

Do you plan on getting a different torque converter?  If using the stock  converter you will need a flexplate and spacer combo. TCI makes a good one. If going with a custom stall or just wanting one that will bolt right up, I used a Continental torque converter. They make a converter that goes into the th350/th400 and has the front to bolt to the LS flexplate and center hub size of the LS. 

Hope this helps. 

Ohhhh! One other thing, will you be using a carburetor or factory style fuel injection? The th350 uses a "kick down" cable for passing gear. The nice thing with the th350  is that you do not need it for shift points like a 700r4 or a 200r4. But you will manually have to put the shifter into 2nd and punch it to get the "passing gear" feel/reaction.