Map Light Bulb replacement ...

Mike Brichta

I need to replace the bulb in my Map Light Mirror.  I'm pretty sure the bulb number is 562, but am not sure.  Can anyone confirm for me?

Also, any tips/tricks/pictures on removing the lens to get to the bulb?  I did it years ago but I don't remember how it comes apart and don't want to break it?

Thanks!!
Mike

Map light (mirror mounted) is a  # 563, 4 candle power bulb. The lens should pop right out, it's a 'snap' fit. 

The clear lens will pop right out, either end with a small screwdriver, pick, etc. The lamp holder has a couple of 'wings' along the sides that hold it into the mirror body. Gently squeeze the black holder at the sides and it will pop right out. I used a little jeweler's type of screwdriver to get along the glass side to push it in, but a little pocket knife, etc would work too.

20210215_122026.jpg

20210215_122102.jpg

20210215_122052.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the LED bulb I bought for my mirror map light. I haven't installed it yet though, because my mirror glass is stained through and needs to be replaced, or I just need to find another map light mirror that has great glass in it.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/map-light-bulb/561-led-bulb-9-smd-led-festoon-44mm-car/244/?year=1972&make=16&model=1191&scc_id=1419 

Interesting looking bulb. Only problem I can see is that the LEDs are not going to be pointed down thru the mirror opening. The way the lamp 'hooks' onto the lamp holder, it's oriented just like the picture. The LEDs would need to be rotated 90 degrees, for the light to aim down. My incandescent bulb has a metal shield that covers the bulb on it to aim the light down, not sure if that would fit on the LED or not. Looks like cooling holes on the back would be covered if that shield was used. For limited use, it may work though. If you get a chance, pop it in and see how it works & let us know. I'd give it a shot if it seemed to work OK.