'72 Front Bumper Guards

monte70z20

Wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this.  I was buying some parts the other day and the guy had front bumper guards for the 72 Monte.  I didn't realize how big these were compared to the 70, 71.  I had never seen these before and was curious if they are rare?  They were NOS, never used and he wanted $250.00 for the pair.  They looked like they'd be used for ramming cars off the road...lol!  Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Sounds like you found a pair of the oversized front bumper guards used on taxi cabs and police cruisers as all three years of the first gen Montes used the same factory guards.  I have seen only one other set of those monstrosities here on the forums and they definitely prioritize function over appearance (they are ugly IMO).  I don't know when they were introduced but if they fit a '72 they will also fit a '70 and '71.  They may have been offered initially for the Chevelle or El Camino.

I can't imagine anyone paying $250 for something like that unless they needed them for a demolition derby!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 420ponies said:

Yeah,I have a set of these.bought sight unseen with some other stuff.  Not my cup of tea either. If interested I'll send them to you and pay the shipping!

Yeah, not a very desirable thing.  They were a factory option.  What some people won't do to pass some scrap metal to someone else.  Sometimes a good deal is far short of a great deal.  :):)

rob

420ponies - thanks for the offer but I don't think I would ever use these.  I feel the same way as you all do about them.  I searched online to see what they look like and man they are fugly (IMO).  Some may like these.  They definitely are eye-grabbing. Maybe if someone wanted to re-create a taxi cab or police cruiser they would use them.

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, monte70z20 said:

Not sure if the owner is a member but here they are installed.  Really, nice looking car!!

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/chevrolet/429829-survivor-36k-mile-ls5-z03-monte-carlo-custom.html

Both front and rear!!  At least the front guards are in the correct location. The rear guards are simply disgusting!  Looks like a '72 Custom masquerading as an SS headed to a demolition derby! 😝  Lose those hideous guards and it's a nice car ...

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...